Arter Carbide Grinder Overhaul

This morning, I installed the side boxes...

View attachment 422590

Yeah... I really didn't like the red primer...

So I slapped a coat of paint inside...

View attachment 422592

It will need a second coat.

I've cleaned the belt cover and the guards that go behind the grinding wheels. I'll get them prepped and painted next week, maybe.

-Bear
Looking great, Bear.

I've done all this work on this grinder over the last few months and didn't even know if the motor would run... I hadn't wired it up to see.

This morning I decided it was time to fix that... I stopped by the Home Depot on my way home from work and picked up a few wiring related supplies, then came home and started reconnecting all of the wiring. I had it almost finished when I discovered that I don't have a spare 3 phase plug to plug it into my 3 phase system.

...No problem... I'll just wire it up to a spare Phase-A-Matic static converter and plug it into a 220v outlet...

Well... it runs... it runs pretty good, actually... for 30 seconds or so. Then it shuts down... if I wait a couple of minutes, I can turn it back on for a few seconds.

While it's running, the red light on the Phase-A-Matic stays on... so the starter circuit is not disengaging...

I'm guessing either the P-A-M is not working properly, or the grinder motor is smaller than the minimum size that the converter is rated for. I don't know what the HP rating of the motor is, the motor plate is long gone... I also don't know what the converter is rated to run, the information decal on it is faded out.

I guess the next step is to get a 3-phase plug on it and eliminate the P-A-M and see if that gets it going... if it doesn't, I'll have to dig into the switch assembly.

-Bear

I'm guessing it will run with 3-phase. If it runs fine for 30 seconds or so, hopefully, it's only underpowered.

Fingers crossed.

When I last worked on the grinder, I had wired it up through a static phase converter... and it would run for a few seconds and shut off.

I had planned to remove the SPC and install a plug so that I can plug it directly into my 3-phase system. Normally, I would stop on my way home from work any morning and get a plug... but lately I've been carpooling to work, so that hasn't happened.

Yesterday, I took the wife out for the day... we were 'junking'... going to the antique malls. On the way home, I stopped in at a Home Depot and picked up a plug.

This afternoon, I wired the plug up... the motor runs fine now, without shutting down, so I installed the motor pulley and drive belt and ran the spindle under power.

The spindle was a little noisy to start with, but as it continued running, became quiet and was running smoothly... the intermediate pulley is noisy, however, and quickly became hot.

I'm guessing that the intermediate pulley will need the bearings replaced... they felt smooth turning by hand, but apparently do have issues.

I'll have to take it back off and see what type of bearing is in it... hopefully it is a standard bearing and not a proprietary bearing...

-Bear

Reactions: tjb
Let me know when you identify the bearing. Somehow, I managed to accumulate several bearings of various sizes and specs. Longshot, but maybe I have one. Also, when you get that bearing issue resolved, would love to see a short video under power.

Regards

Let me know when you identify the bearing. Somehow, I managed to accumulate several bearings of various sizes and specs. Longshot, but maybe I have one. Also, when you get that bearing issue resolved, would love to see a short video under power.

Regards

It's a New Departure 5304-zz double row angular contact bearing...

McMaster has them for $109...

I found a NOS bearing on ebay... I just ordered it. It came out to about $20 shipped. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks for the offer... if the ebay bearing doesn't work out, I'll be looking again in a week or so.

Every time I crank the grinder up, the spindle is noisy for 10-15 seconds, then smooths out. I'm probably going to disassemble the spindle and see if I can replace the spindle bearings also. They may be nearing the end of their life...

-Bear

The bearing for the pulley came in the other day, so this morning I pressed it into the pulley...

20221202_082603.jpg

...then disassembled the spindle. There are two different bearings on the spindle. The one on the pulley end is a New Departure 5207...

20221202_092843.jpg

It feels extremely smooth and tight. I'll reuse this bearing if I can... I haven't been able to find a quality replacement.

The other bearing didn't have a trade number stamped on it... just 'NORMA CANADA'.

20221202_092752.jpg

It measured out to match a 6207-zz. It is definately at the end of it's life... it has tight spots when rotating and a slight amount of roughness. I've ordered a replacement.

Now I get to wait on it to show up.

-Bear

Edit: I just checked ebay for the 5207 bearing... and found a NOS New Departure 5207 with the snap ring groove... I ordered it, also...

Last edited:
Both of the spindle bearings have arrived... I'm not going to use the NOS New Departure bearing. It does appear to be a new, unused bearing, but it isn't as smooth as the bearing that I removed from the grinder. I'll just use the old one.

The new 6207 will be a good swap, though...

So this afternoon, I reassembled the spindle, reinstalled the intermediate pulley, and turned it on...

View attachment 20221208_180931.mp4

Maybe the video will work...

It is much quieter now... except the motor belt is a little loose and and is flapping. It will need to be tightened.

-Bear

You go, Bear!

That's looking and sounding great!

Regards

Back