Arter Carbide Grinder Overhaul

Nice addition, Bear. They look like something on the order of 4" risers? That'll make moving it around much easier.

And I enjoyed the visit last week and the tour through your shop. Thanks for the education on the dividing head. You've got some pretty nice toys.

Regards

Terry, I enjoyed your visit, also... I guess we all like talking about machines! Come visit again when you get a chance.

-Bear

Reactions: tjb
You're not that far beyond my sister- and brother-in-law. We're not that direction often, but when we are we'll try to match up again. And the door is always open on this end, too.

Regards

I started working on the grinder this morning... I began by removing both of the steel boxes that hold the tables so I could easily access the wiring...

20220622_102041.jpg

I started disconnecting all of the wiring, making sure that everything was labeled so maybe I can get it all reconnected later. The wiring will all need replacing, the insulation is pretty sketchy on most of it.

The switch...

20220622_101256.jpg

The transformer that steps the voltage down for the coolant pump...

20220622_102029.jpg

Motor...

20220622_104106.jpg

And the pump...

20220622_104958.jpg

The wiring on the pump is cracked going into the motor housing. I'm hoping that I can repair it, but it's pretty close to the housing...20220622_102528.jpg

I've mostly stripped the pedestal... the grinding head is still sitting on it, I'll have to figure out how to use a hoist to lift it off... it's heavy!

20220622_110812.jpg

The coolant sump had a bird nest in it, complete with an unhatched egg that is quite a few years old...

20220622_103215.jpg

The grinding head doesn't attach to the pedestal... it bolts to the side boxes, which are bolted to the pedestal. That will make it interesting to reassemble by myself... but I'll figure it out.

-Bear

The grinding head is designed to oscillate when the lever is thrown.
This is done for two reasons, not to put a "groove" in the wheel and to help not burn the part.

Looking good, Bear.

Regards

I'm back to working on the carbide grinder. Today I started taking the grinding head apart... and decided that I wouldn't. I think I'll just leave it together.

I made this decision for two reasons... number one, all the bearings are good and it works fine, so the only reason to take it apart is to make it easier to clean and paint. Number two... I can't figure out how to get it apart.

The casting that holds the spindle is surrounded by the 'frame' casting... any way that the upper casting moves, it runs into the lower casting...

It was assembled somehow, I'm sure there is one particular angle it needs to be in to slide out the top, but it is heavy and I don't know if I can manhandle it enough by myself to get it apart and back together. So, I'll just clean and paint it as an assembly.

20220704_143934.jpg

20220704_143926.jpg

20220704_143916.jpg

20220704_143907.jpg

Next I'll pressure wash the base and see how much of the old peeling paint I can strip off of it.

-Bear

I made this decision for two reasons... number one, all the bearings are good and it works fine, so the only reason to take it apart is to make it easier to clean and paint. Number two... I can't figure out how to get it apart.
:eagerness: :eagerness: :eagerness:
That's a good one, Bear! But I think you've prioritized them in reverse order. Looks like you're making great progress.

Regards

I'm still working on the grinder... it's going pretty slow. I'm using a knotted wire brush on an angle grinder to strip the paint. I'm assuming the paint probably has lead in it, so I'm wearing a respirator.

The weather has been hot lately, and the respirator gets uncomfortable very quickly... also, my old Makita angle grinder tends to get pretty hot after just a little while... me and the grinder both get overheated together...

So, I work for a while, then tinker with other projects while the grinder cools.

Anyway... it is turning out good...

20220712_101012.jpg

A couple more days, and maybe this base will be ready for paint...

-Bear

Reactions: tjb
Back