Arter Carbide Grinder Overhaul

Looking good, Bear. What kind of paint will you use? You shooting for a close match to original color?

Regards

Looking good, Bear. What kind of paint will you use? You shooting for a close match to original color?

Regards

Hey, Terry, I'm not sure on the paint yet... I will probably go with a pale gray similar to what was on it already. I'll have to see what I can find.

-Bear

Reactions: tjb
This morning I applied the first coat of paint to the base...

20220720_090107.jpg

It will need a second coat.

I decided to use Rustoleum smoke grey, partly because it is close to the original color, and partly because I have a half gallon left over from my first Hendey lathe project.

It sure looks a lot better than it did a couple of weeks ago...

-Bear

I've been tinkering with the grinder some... I've decided to reassemble it from the bottom up. If I reassemble the grinding head and the upper boxes first, it's a lot more difficult to work on the coolant tank and pump and the electrics.

I have the coolant tank cleaned and prepped for paint... I'm in the process of cleaning and prepping the front panel that covers the big hole in the front of the base.

This morning, I disassembled the coolant pump and removed the motor from the pump. Back in post #14, I mentioned that the power wire to the pump has some badly cracked insulation... I began looking to see if the wire could be replaced. I decided the wise thing to do would be to seek professional help, so I took it to my father... he spent several years working for a company that rebuilt electric motors, so he knows a lot more than I do.

He volunteered to open it up and attempt to replace the power wire for me, so I left it with him. I'll probably get it back tomorrow.

-Bear

Reactions: tjb
Making progress...glad to see it happening.

My father came through for me... he replaced the power wire on the pump motor, cleaned it, and oiled the bearings... it runs very nice now...

20220803_141736.jpg

I painted the coolant tank and front cover... while they were drying, I finished reassembling the pump and disassembled the spindle drive motor...

20220803_154616.jpg

By that time the paint was dry so I installed the cover, coolant tank, and pump back on the base.

20220803_141805.jpg

20220803_153808.jpg

20220803_153817.jpg

The spindle motor looked very rough on the outside, but inside it looks to be in excellent condition. It will take some work to get it cleaned up and the old paint stripped off. I have ordered new bearings for it also. I didn't really feel that new bearings were absolutely necessary, but the motor is apart and the bearings weren't expensive... so why not...?

-Bear

Looking really nice, Bear. I'm glad you got it.

I stripped all the paint off the spindle motor using a 90 degree die grinder with 2 inch roloc scotchbrite discs... that was a dirty mess... but I got it stripped to the bare castings, primed, and painted.

20220805_083426.jpg

20220805_120438.jpg

20220805_120445.jpg

The new bearings should be here today, but I won't have a chance to work on it again until next week.

The data plate on this motor is long gone... all I know is that it was made by GE... I don't know what hp it is (I'm guessing ¾ hp?), what rpm it turns at, current draw, etc...

I also reinstalled the transformer,wiring box, and 110v outlet on the base...

20220805_123755.jpg

I just cleaned it as well as I could... the wiring diagram for the transformer is on the outside of the box. I didn't want to get too aggressive with cleaning it and lose the diagram... 'it is what it is'.

Next week, I plan to get the motor reassembled and installed, get the grinding head prepped, painted, and back on the base, and hopefully finish the wiring.

-Bear

Last edited:
This morning I began reassembling the motor. I pressed new bearings on the shaft, then reassembled everything.

20220810_115135.jpg

20220810_115141.jpg

I started working on the wiring... then was distracted when I discovered that the condensate pump on my home air conditioning unit had become clogged and was flooding the basement floor...

I spent the rest of the morning taking the condensate pump apart and cleaning it out...

-Bear

Last edited:
Back