Arter Carbide Grinder Overhaul

A quick update on the grinder...

I haven't worked on it lately... I've been tied up with other things... but this morning I threw some paint at the main casting of the grinding head.

I just realized that I never mentioned taking the head apart. I figured out the right combination a couple of weeks ago and disassembled it and prepped it for paint.

Anywho... i have the main casting painted. As soon as it is dry, I can put it on and finish up with the wiring.

20220912_085316.jpg

It will need a second coat, but I'll wait until I get the spindle arm installed... I'll very likely put some scratches on it doing that.

-Bear

A quick update on the grinder...

I haven't worked on it lately... I've been tied up with other things... but this morning I threw some paint at the main casting of the grinding head.

I just realized that I never mentioned taking the head apart. I figured out the right combination a couple of weeks ago and disassembled it and prepped it for paint.

Anywho... i have the main casting painted. As soon as it is dry, I can put it on and finish up with the wiring.

View attachment 420195

It will need a second coat, but I'll wait until I get the spindle arm installed... I'll very likely put some scratches on it doing that.

-Bear
Looking good, Bear.

I'm slowly making progress...

I've painted the power switch mount plate and have the switch back in the head...

20220915_095240.jpg

...but I've misplaced the mounting screws. I'll have to buy some replacements.

I took the cover off the switch to check all of the connections. My opinion is that the switch was replaced not long before this grinder was taken out of service. The contacts appear to be almost unused.

-Bear

I took the cover off the switch to check all of the connections. My opinion is that the switch was replaced not long before this grinder was taken out of service. The contacts appear to be almost unused.
I'd be curious to know if you think the entire machine was used much at all. It was pretty clear when I dismantled and rebuilt the shaper that it had very, very little use.

Now you're making me wish I had separated the shaper body from the base and re-painted it.

Beautiful work!!

Regards

I'd be curious to know if you think the entire machine was used much at all. It was pretty clear when I dismantled and rebuilt the shaper that it had very, very little use.

Hey, Terry, sorry I didn't answer your question the other day... it slipped my mind.

Yes, I think the grinder has seen a lot of use... it's not worn out, but it has been well used.

Update: I did find the switch mounting screws... I stumbled across them in a place that left me wondering why I would have put them there... in the can of hardware and parts for the upper grinding arm. I removed the switch in my detached shop, but dismantled the head and arm in my basement... IDK, but at least I found them.

I've painted the arm and reassembled it into the grinding head...

20220920_092250.jpg

I've also ordered both v-belts from McMaster... they should be here tomorrow.

Next, I need to finish up with the wiring. I've been putting that off, wiring is not my favorite thing to do.

I was planning to pressure wash the side boxes this morning, but won't have time. I'll do that tomorrow, maybe, and start prepping them for paint.

-Bear

Lookin' good, Bear.

This afternoon, between changing oil and mowing, I found time to clean and pressure wash the two table boxes...

20220927_161632.jpg

20220927_161707.jpg

20220927_161644.jpg

Apparently, one side of the grinder was used a LOT more than the other... one box was fairly clean, the other had ¼" of grinding slag cemented to the bottom...

It all came out with a little scraping and pressure washing.

I'll need to strip all the old paint off the outside, then repaint inside and out.

-Bear

I've installed the drive belts... I still need to check the motor pulley. It looks like it may be warped, so I may have to order a new one...

20221006_150748.jpg

I've finished painting both side boxes...

20221006_150436.jpg

The inside was painted with what looked like a red oxide primer, so I painted the inside with Rustoleum rusty metal primer... I'll probably leave it that way, but if I get them installed and it doesn't look right, I'll paint the insides the same color as the outside.

-Bear

This morning, I installed the side boxes...

20221007_102222.jpg

Yeah... I really didn't like the red primer...

So I slapped a coat of paint inside...

20221007_112322.jpg

It will need a second coat.

I've cleaned the belt cover and the guards that go behind the grinding wheels. I'll get them prepped and painted next week, maybe.

-Bear

Back