Asian Face Mill issue

Perhaps you could shim the low inserts up to match the high one.

If you know someone who has a T&C grinder, or a surface grinder, or even a bench grinder with some sort of indexing work head, or possibly a lathe tool post grinder, you can regrind the bottom facets of the inserts (while mounted in the holder) perfectly even with each other, and be off to the races.

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions. Maybe I'm just quibbling, but it does produce a nice finish, but I suspect that would deteriorate if I used a faster feed rate.

I'm gonna take a closer look today with an idea of fixing the pocket. Anything beyond that is probably not worth the time or brain damage. If that won't fix it, a three legged dog... er.. face mill may be the ticket to happiness. I'll let you know...

I don't know what mill you have. I looks from the picture that it's an R8 holder.

So, first, determine in your spindle is running true. Check the taper in your spindle with a test indicator. If it is off, the face mill might not be the problem.

If the spindle looks good, check new inserts in the cutter (the bottoms, radius tips and sides) with your test indicator and get some readings. Check them as you revolve the spindle by hand very slowly over the cutting edges. Mark each flute so you don't get your recording mixed up. Depending on what you find, maybe you can tweak the pocket with a small, fine, file. Be careful, because you could do more harm than good, but if it's only off a thousandth's or so, a slight touch, or burr removal, might be all it takes.

So, first, determine where the problem is. Then, address the problem

Good luck,
Ted

Back