Asian Import

I cannot seem to see the comment. How far down is it?
Here is my reply to the video, for what it's worth, Eric...:

----
Proverb: "Man with one watch knows what time it is."

Evaluating your testing: To find out how accurate a company makes their tools requires a number of samples from different days/weeks/months/years of production, randomly chosen by uninterested persons. All vendors would need to be treated exactly the same. A significant number of samples would be needed. Then, all of the samples would be individually tested, and then be rated by best and worst single sample (maximum differences from perfect,) and also the average mean, median, and mode variances of each vendor's products. That would be a big and expensive job, and would still only relate to the actual samples tested, saying absolutely nothing about the huge number of products, from long production intervals, which were not tested. Showing one sample from each vendor is a complete waste of time for learning anything actually useful about the makers. Lyle, you did a very nice job of working with what you had on hand...
----

Thanks Bob, I couldn't find it either. Of course you are right and I agree with Savarin, that turning at an angle has gotten me in trouble for no good reason once I stopped to think. The thing that kinda makes me sad is I really respect Mr. Pete he was my first online teacher. I know we have huge differences in our views of the world but I felt like he kinda fluffed over the fact that $1 Chinese trisquare was scary accurate especially against the modern US made trisquare.

I also acknowledge you are so right Bob. One of the biggest beef's I've had with Chinese made is consistency.

And also wholeheartedly agree with Nutfarmer. I worked for a foreign owned fruit and veg processing co as my last wage slave tour and it was humiliating being forced to shove junk out the door because we had to. And even more humiliating to have to go out on service calls to try and patch blatantly faulty designs that needed to be replaced. Add to that their policy was to hire temps to fill the force when we had big contracts and fire them usually right before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Its ironic the Japanese were in the same boat quality wise until Dr. Deming taught them quality and even more ironic none of US big biz wanted anything to do with his teaching.

Bob, you are absolutely correct about sample size and statistical significance. You would really need seven of each to attain 95% accuracy (degrees of freedom for a t-value of .95), which would really narrow your certainty down about which is better because the result will be biased toward the true measurands, in this case "straight" and "square". But do not underestimate the value of a grab sample, as Mr. Pete has done. He used random chance for each sample- they were what he had, random from the others made before and since. The relative difference turned out to be very small, which would naturally grow smaller as the sample population grows. Errors would occur on both sides of the true value, so positive and negative to square, meaning the central tendency for a large population will be close to true square. Any variance will be deviation from square, so the average should also be true square. At the end of the day, I'm just surprised at how comparable the squares really were. I have two Chinese ones that move around when I tighten the thumb screw. I have a Lufkin that is rigid and repeatable, but not very true. I was beginning to think that all combo squares were crap. Maybe I need a Starrett...

It's never a good idea to generalize. I had the exact opposite experience as the OP. I had an 11 inch Logan that was tired and just would not make accurate parts without a file and sandpaper. I got a Grizzly import lathe and it's been both accurate and trouble free. (except the one time I crashed it but parts came in a week)

One of the lathes I had was a Grizzly and it was a problem from day one. Zenith had a motto. " Quality goes in before the name goes on" The Chinese changed that to " Quality goes out and then we put a quality name on it". As I have stated before, I would rather have a 50 year old USA made tool, than a new China made tool. There are no junk yards in China, They send it all here.

Buy American, The job you save..... May be your own!

I am dead serious. I HATE all Asain products. I lost all my teeth to a defective China made wrench. Broke my knee cap due to a defective sledge hammer (Mexican made). So now you can see I am serious.

Back