[Deals] Astra/CST L2 Milling machine

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

There’s an Astra L2 milling machine for sale close to me for a low price, but I can barely find any info on them other than what’s in lathes.co.uk. I can’t find videos, reviews or forum threads on if they’re any good.

I’m a fairly newby hobbyist, so my needs aren’t huge. I’m looking to play around building tooling and maybe model engines, so nothing heavy.

Does anyone have any info on these Mills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking about the L2 horizontal or L2 vertical? Either way, they look fairly well built (Italian) but lacking in some features and capacity
The lack of a quill for example is somewhat limiting. Likewise the single slot table is not as desirable as one with two or more.
I think you could do better- an E.M.E. model VO-A2F for example (see lathes.co.uk)

-Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. The advert states it comes with both a vertical and horizontal head. The picture shows a table with two T slots. Maybe it’s an L4 then? I wasn’t actively seeking this model, it just came up at a low price and I was intregued. Maybe it’s worth waiting for another cheaper machine to come up for sale?

Well, all I can say is having a quill is much better than not having one; being able to drill on a milling machine is a valuable feature
Also, you want as much vertical knee travel as possible- the L2 looks like it has very little
Can you copy and paste the ad picture here? I could give better advice if I can see it
-M

Thanks Mark. This is the picture
25da3979de4e7d954f4ff8eeacb738ef.jpg

Looks like a fun machine, how much are they asking?

Find out what it comes with- I like combination H/V machines (I have one myself) and I see the horizontal overarm but the other horizontal pieces like arbors may be missing. Also check if any collets for the vertical head come with it; it may take a special type
I don't see a vise either
Looks very sturdy, probably fairly heavy

So I bought it!

It’s being delivered Monday. I’ll do a separate post on it as I dive in to it.

Back