[Documentation] Astra (CST) L4 - Vertical and Horizontal Milling Machine

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
Not sure if I should post this here as im not planning a restoration as such, more of a general clean up as the machine is looking a little tired. I wanted to do a thread on this as I couldnt really find any info on this Mill when I was buying, so figured I’d try and add some more info to the internet for people searching in the future. It only got delivered today and I’m still in the middle of getting my Smart & Brown SAB back to good order, so I’ve no real timeline on getting this cleaned up and painted. Along the way I’ll post anything I find interesting about it. I’m still very much a novice at this as well, so I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions!

My thoughts so far are:

Strange table size
Sturdy and well made machine
Weird (to me) ratchet z axis.

01270278feb30faa3636d4897b678214.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That quick feed feature (rack & pinion) shows that the machine was used for light cuts on production work, similar in nature to a hand screw machine.

That quick feed feature (rack & pinion) shows that the machine was used for light cuts on production work, similar in nature to a hand screw machine.

Can you elaborate on that a little please? I’ve only briefly started the machine up once, so haven’t really played with it. I’m guessing you’re talking about the leaver on the right hand side? Is that a power feed? (It’ll be a few days before I can test and see what that lever is for). Or do you mean that the lever is for quickly moving the table in the X direction quicker than the handle?

. Or do you mean that the lever is for quickly moving the table in the X direction quicker than the handle?
Yes, that is what I mean, you can use either the handle for speed or the crank for heavier work, of both, depending on what works best for a particular job.

Those were built in Italy according to lathes.co.uk

First issue. I’m trying to dissasemble the machine so I can move move it. I can’t seem to get the horizontal head to budge. I’ve remove the gib screws and can see nothing else that would be holding it in place. I’ve given it some taps with a mallet which hasn’t helped at all. Any ideas on freeing what seems to be a stick horizontal head?

Lots of penetrating oil, every day or two, and tap back and forth with a large mallet, or block of hard wood, and a BFH. It should eventually start to move if you haven't missed any attaching hardware. Mike

Back