[Documentation] Astra (CST) L4 - Vertical and Horizontal Milling Machine

That one cutter is for cutting radius's on edges smaller diameter then the radius. It sounds as if the ram has burrs on it or you tightened the gib to much. I would leave the sets screws finger tight and move the ram and after tighten them to lock the ram in place. No need to machine it. Here take a look at how my student Keith Rucker tightens his scrole to 7 minutes or so. Leave about .002" play or .005" when loose for moving. It is a different type but the principal s the same.

Thanks Richard. I checked for burrs and did some light sanding and cleaning to get the grime and gunk off before putting the ram (over arm?) back on. I haven’t even put the grub screws in, and it’s still stuck. I’m now worried that the over arm of mill itself may be out of shape. I need to hammer the over arm back out and take measurements in several places to make sure one of them isn’t warped of dented.

Thanks for the info on the cutter. That makes sense. Seems it’d only be useful for a specific size of plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check to be sure the gib is in-place right and not flipped Does the ram have a feed rack or you turn a handle to move the ram back and forth? If it does make sure the pinion gear and rack are engaged right. . Many times the gibs have holes where rounded set screws or dog point set screws go into to align the gib. It had to have been right from the factory. I suspect you didn't assemble it right.

Check to be sure the gib is in-place right and not flipped Does the ram have a feed rack or you turn a handle to move the ram back and forth? If it does make sure the pinion gear and rack are engaged right. . Many times the gibs have holes where rounded set screws or dog point set screws go into to align the gib. It had to have been right from the factory. I suspect you didn't assemble it right.

My usual first thought is I’ve done something wrong :) I’m still hoping that to be the case here, but I think this setup is too simple for even me to get wrong!

I ensured that the dimples in the gib for the set screws aligned with the holes in the mill, so I’m confident the gib is in the correct orientation (unless it’s upside down, but I don’t think that’s possible). There is no mechanism to move the ram, it’s all done by hand, so nothing to go wrong there.

I’ll hammer the ram off again and double check for burrs and the gib alignment before machining (I.e probabky wrecking) the gib

Use a file, not sand paper.be sure these screws are loose and squirter some way oil on it.

Slow progress lately, but at least progress is being made! I’ve added iGaging scales to two of the axis. I had the touchDRO setup from my previous mill and lathe, so am adding them to this mill and my new lathe.

I’ve hit a road block though. For the x axis, I don’t have the space to get a drill behind to fit any brackets, and to get the table off, I need to lift the entire thing up the z axis and off the top. I can’t do this however without removing the spindle completely, and I’ve tried that unsuccessfully already. I think removing the spindle would result in bearings jumping out and going everywhere, and hesitant to do it. If I can fit the scale without having to remove the table, I will. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

fbeb74efd8b96f5a9ef8b80d463030e8.jpg

9ad854b071d481b45e859f234728dd53.jpg

If you remove the Z gib you may be able to swing the knee out to get it off. I have also seen where they narrow the ways with a file near the top or bottom where is seldom used to get more clearance so it will swing out.

I’ve not had a lot of time (or energy) lately to do anything to my mill or lathe, but have got a few minutes this week to continue in with the DRO installation. I put the vertical head back on to use making some brackets and it’s the first time I’ve had this set up with a vice. There’s not a lot of room….

f16e5a6654b4812e8c2448432e13f967.jpg

65af3e406306739c2db6e60a30a1043d.jpg

I knew that there’d be limited room as this is predominantly A horizontal mill. I’ve read that people tend to fixture straight to the table without a vice to get more vertical space. I think I just need to figure out how to do as much as possible in the horizontal setup where vertical space is no issue. I’ve never used a horizontal mill before, so some learning is needed!

With the vise that far back on the table be careful not to move it into far and hit the column - big scratch on column if you move the table when it's hitting. Use the front T slot or buy a smaller vise. :)

With the vise that far back on the table be careful not to move it into far and hit the column - big scratch on column if you move the table when it's hitting. Use the front T slot or buy a smaller vise. :)

Thanks Richard

I spent time time today investigating the issue with the overhead arm not running smoothly. Once I managed to get the overhead arm off again (piece of wood and a mallet), I noticed that the gib was slightly bent. I spent some time straightening and then deburred everything and it now slides just fine

0796b93a361bd038e9fc6093c6addea9.jpg

I’ve not had a lot of time (or energy) lately to do anything to my mill or lathe, but have got a few minutes this week to continue in with the DRO installation. I put the vertical head back on to use making some brackets and it’s the first time I’ve had this set up with a vice. There’s not a lot of room….

f16e5a6654b4812e8c2448432e13f967.jpg

65af3e406306739c2db6e60a30a1043d.jpg

I knew that there’d be limited room as this is predominantly A horizontal mill. I’ve read that people tend to fixture straight to the table without a vice to get more vertical space. I think I just need to figure out how to do as much as possible in the horizontal setup where vertical space is no issue. I’ve never used a horizontal mill before, so some learning is needed!

This is why the vertical head on many horizontal mills have a separate motor and mount where the overarm mounts. Even on this little mill that would provide 3 or 4" additional inches.

It is a neat little mill and I'm sure much more rigid than many modern mini-mills of similar capacity.

Back