Astro International Lathe

dmacritchie

Registered
Registered
I have one of these machines it looks like the same machine as a Jet 12x36 same green, even has the same metal tag on the front just says Astro
International instead of Jet, had it for years works great just looking for a little history and I need to build a new cross slide nut, looking for advice as well, I measured the thread and it is left hand acme 15mm 29 degree 8 pitch, some people say buy a tap, huge money some say machine that is around my neck of the woods in bc canada, thanks in advance for any help

I bought a large chunk of Delrin to make a new nut, fairly inexpensive. I think those lathes were used by Spacely Sprockets to make robot parts. Jetsons/Jet, has to be some kind of connection there. Welcome to the forum by the way. Cheers, Mike

Welcome to H-M

Some of these 1024/1236 lathes in the "Jet" family have adjustable Cross-slide nuts. Have you checked to see if your's is adjustable?

Also, Grizzly sold their version of the Jet 1236 lathe as the G9249. Though they no longer sell the lathe, they do still sell parts.

They don't sell the nut separately. But they do have it mated with a leadscrew. $132 USD

If you nut is not adjustable, you could possibly place a slit across it and tap it with two small screws to "pinch" the slot and tighten up the backlash.

Hope this helps.

How about compromise and watch for a used tap on Ebay. Or, buy a new tap, do your work, then sell it on Ebay and make back 50-60% of your money.

yes it has a split cross slide nut but it is fully compressed with more massaging, machining a nut is beyond my skill level but a tap i could do i am in Canada they are $600.00, looking for other options thanks

Thanks for the input, does anyone have advice on where i could locate the 15mm tap that i need is it ebay only or are there suppliers that i could but it from offshore that are good quality, need to fix it but struggling with avenues

A couple of other options.
1) You could single point tread it. Grind or make a LH Acme HHS Threading Bar or purchase an LH Acme Threading bar and a piece of oil bronze.
2) Not ideal... but you could try and slit the other side of your current leadscew nut and use that end to tighten things up. I would at least get you up an running while you work on more permanent fix.

I wish I had the skill to machine it from scratch, and maybe I should see if I can, or hunt down a tap, always wondered if the 29 degree 8 pitch acme 15mm tap was unique or are they all like that

Buy a short piece of acme threaded rod of the proper size and make a tap.
Grind a taper on the front of the rod, cut 3 equidistant grooves along the length of the rod and sharpen the edges. Square one end for a wrench.
Heat the with a propane torch and quench in oil to harden. I did this when I made a spare nut for my lathe.

Back