ATF letter

Hi Bruce and Jerry, I'm glad to see the gat's are still alive. I bought plans years ago, and been collecting steel through the years. It's hard to get any work done on a gun at work. (they freak out a little when they ask what I'm making.) OMG grow a set. It's just a hobby......
So fast forward some years, now I have my own home machine shop, and I hope soon I'll have some time to spend on my build.
Ok, first, We have to build a new house and shop when we sell this one. Then maybe, I'll have some time?
Very nice work Bruce, and Cutter, I've drooled over the work I saw on RG-G. It's art.
Bruce I'd like to thank you for making a list of things needing corrected.

I grew up shooting and was taught to respect guns. I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like to by living in town. But soon We'll be moving back to the country, then I can set up a spot.
Jerry are you still doing any builds? I thought about buying the barrel and ejector unit. It would really cut down on the build time frame. Time seems to be in short supply as I get older. I'm 58 and I'm ready to slow down a bit.

Hi Bruce and Jerry, I'm glad to see the gat's are still alive. I bought plans years ago, and been collecting steel through the years. It's hard to get any work done on a gun at work. (they freak out a little when they ask what I'm making.) OMG grow a set. It's just a hobby......
So fast forward some years, now I have my own home machine shop, and I hope soon I'll have some time to spend on my build.
Ok, first, We have to build a new house and shop when we sell this one. Then maybe, I'll have some time?
Very nice work Bruce, and Cutter, I've drooled over the work I saw on RG-G. It's art.
Bruce I'd like to thank you for making a list of things needing corrected.

I grew up shooting and was taught to respect guns. I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like to by living in town. But soon We'll be moving back to the country, then I can set up a spot.
Jerry are you still doing any builds? I thought about buying the barrel and ejector unit. It would really cut down on the build time frame. Time seems to be in short supply as I get older. I'm 58 and I'm ready to slow down a bit.
Hi Solo,

Thanks for the comments. For me, it's a case of the proverbial "wish I knew back then what I know now". Our son and I gained a lot of machining experience by building the gun. Lots of frustrations like "learning" to silver solder. I still do a poor job even with clean stock, correct flux, jeweler silver solder, etc. Sometimes it goes great, other times, not so great.

Got really frustrated band sawing some flat brass stock used on the sides of the breech case. It's something like 1/4" thick brass cut to an "L" with a 1/4" thick leg on the top and a 2" x 1 1/4" leg on the bottom. The brass would "banana" on me as I cut it, something like a 1/4" curl over a 7" length. Went to clamping things flat after the fact then dusting on the mill. Still got some slight curving after that. Finally got some good sets after remaking them 2 or 3 times.

You're never too old to start the project! I'm 58 too and will probably make a second one after I retire in a few years.

Best regards, Bruce

I've been in a shop since I was knee high. Granddad had me standing on a crate turning a few chips on a lathe, I must have been about 5yrs old.
Most of my family has been in shops most of their lives. One grandfather would start one up then sell it off, and later do it again. He did a lot of Gov contracts. The one shop I worked in that he owned when I was a kid, was Master Swaging. They made flight control systems for Bell Helicopter, back in the 70's.
I haven't worked with to much brass flat stock, mainly turning. Wow, 1/4" in 7" I'll have to watch for that. I remember working at a job shop in Columbia, SC, A farmer wanted some 2x2 angle cut, removing one leg pretty far down. I remember that curving quite a lot...
It's nice having a shop at home to do a setup and it still be there a week later. We have one mill at work and use it quite a bit now doing rework from all the Chinese parts they import. It's terrible quality. I've got some painting to do so I better get off here and back to work..Sigh..
The good news is when we sell this house I'll be able to semi-retire. So I really, really want to get this done!
I'm sure I'll be asking questions when I do start my build. Scott.

Some years ago a friend built a sort of two barrel Gatling gun from a kit that used two .30 caliber M1 carbines sans stocks on a tripod with swivel. It had two double lobed cams pushing the original triggers so you got four shots per revolution of the crank, legal because a 2 shot burst (2 shots per gun, technically it was still considered two separate firearms since it had two separate serial numbered receivers) for one trigger action isn't considered a machine gun. I never saw it in operation, though.

Back