Atlas 10 x 30, first steps to using lathe & setup

Wiring is complete. Now to determine which belts are best to move forward with? Are there any documents on this forum that would give me some more information on the length of belts needed? I know this was mentioned earlier but I don't know how to find this information? Thanks.

The factory belts for a 10" with horizontal countershaft are 4L410 for the spindle (assuming that you mount the lathe and countershaft per the factory instructions in Downloads. And 4L390 for the motor. Assuming that you mount the motor approximately where the original mounting bracket had it.

I have the belts ordered, the MOLO suggests SAE 10 but it looks like SAE 20 is actually recommended as a lubricant. Is this the SAE non detergent oil? Is 3 in 1 oil the same? What about the Way oil, does anyone have any feedback they can offer? I'd like to use an oil I can find here in Missouri.

No, 3 in 1 oil is much too thin, use SAE 20 non-detergent; you may have to order it
In a pinch, you can use chainsaw bar oil on the ways, but the SAE 20 everywhere else

Last edited:
I have the belts ordered, the MOLO suggests SAE 10 but it looks like SAE 20 is actually recommended as a lubricant. Is this the SAE non detergent oil? Is 3 in 1 oil the same? What about the Way oil, does anyone have any feedback they can offer? I'd like to use an oil I can find here in Missouri.

You can order spindle and way oil online. In the US, for example:

Craig
PS Mods: Could there perhaps be an FAQ or pinned thread as this question seems to come up quite regularly.

The Atlas manuals including the MOLO gave SAE 10 up until sometime in the 1950's when they changed the recommendation to SAE 20 retroactive. The only exception is that on the open gears, a no longer available grease was recommended. My assumption on an alternative grease is that it should also be graphite bearing and that it should be rated for high temperature. The reason for the latter recommendation is that most common greases not rated as high temperature will liquefy and sling off at only slightly above 100 F.

SAE 20 includes ISO 46 and ISO 68. When unable to find oil rated as SAE 20 ND, I use the latter but at least one person reported using the former. Detergents, AFAIK, are never mentioned in Atlas documentation and the assumption has generally been to use Non-Detergent. There are two reasons for this. First is that commonly available high detergent engine oil is generally more expensive than straight 20 weight and there are no known benefits to using it on any machine tool we are apt to have. The second is that most commonly available motor oils like you would find in an auto parts store have an additive that absorbs moisture. IC engines get hot enough when running to flush the absorbed moisture out the tail pipe. Machine tools do not. The remaining additives (detergents) probably do no harm but serve no useful purpose in a machine tool so aren't worth paying extra for.

Mobile sells an ISO 68 oil described as "Heavy Medium Circulating Oil" which is what I generally use when I can't find straight SAE 20.

The most commonly available 3-IN-ONE oil is SAE 10. As shown by the photo above, it can be had in SAE 20. But some simple calculations will show that it is pretty expensive per gallon.

Way oil and chain-saw bar oil clings to a vertical surface better than most other oil so should probable be used on the ways and dove-tails.

Last edited:
Sorry Tim I forgot 3 in 1 comes in two flavors now, you could use the one for motors but ounce for ounce it's pricey like Robert mentioned

I found the SAE 20 non detergent oil yesterday locally. Looks like all I need now is the way oil, I do have Stihl bar oil so I guess that'll work till I find a better option. Glad to have some of the details behind me, looking forward to actually using my lathe! I sure appreciate all the help everyone has offered me. Thanks to everyone.

Its been awhile but I finally have time to spend working on the lathe. In the process of going through the lathe, adding the belts, cleaning and lubricating the necessary parts. Everything is complete, only lubricating issue was with the spindle pulley as the screw won't back out to apply oil? It was suggested that I set the change gears to a .005-.010 feed - is there any reference here on the forum to doing this? I have reviewed the MOLO and I didn't see any mention of this?

Last edited:
Back