Atlas 10D conversion to 10F

Abear

Registered
Registered
I’m trying to convert my 10D to 10F, ie powered cross feed. Will the 3/4 lead screw Work with my existing forward/reverse gear box? The 3/4 lead screw appears to have a reduced dia on the gearbox end, my 5/8 lead screw is not reduced.

Thx. Judr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, Atlas used 5/8" diameter for the left end of the lead screw all the way up until 1967 on the first version of what came to be known as the 12" Commercial. However, the right lead screw bearing from the 10D and 101.07381 and earlier was replaced by a slightly larger one.

Thank you. I guess I’ll be looking for right lead screw bearing. Thanks again. Jude

Just updating, I have successfully changed the lead screw and carriage on my 10D. I also purchased a quickchange gearbox to add on later. Seems the 10D headstock requires a 7/16" hole to be bored. Since the QCGB didn't come with the template to locate the hole, I've decided to swap the headstock for 10A-2B version, I believe the hole is already bored in this version. The QCGB instructions specify the hole needs to bored in headstock on lathes that came with the 5/8" leadscrew. Does anyone know if the QCGB will work with the 10A-2B headstock without having to bore any additional holes?

Yes. If you look at the final version of the 10F parts manual (available in Downloads), you will see on page 5 the 10A-2B headstock casting and the 10-47 Stud that requires the addition hole. All 10F's have this stud, including those with the QCGB.

Thanks. I’ve sourced the replacement headstock, the last thing needed to do final assembly. I appreciate the help.

I'd be real interested in what you need to do to put the replacement heasdstock on the base and get thing aligned and all ready to use.

I have an Atlas 10" QBCB-42 which is currently all apart from moving and cleaning and am about to take on that task.
So any tips you have as you go along would be great if you would post them.

I'd be real interested in what you need to do to put the replacement heasdstock on the base and get thing aligned and all ready to use.

I have an Atlas 10" QBCB-42 which is currently all apart from moving and cleaning and am about to take on that task.
So any tips you have as you go along would be great if you would post them.

Not sure I’ll be any help for you. I’m learning this as I go. I’ve been thankful for the help I’m getting here. I’ll do my best to repay. I’ll. Let you what problems I encountered and how I solved them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back