Atlas 10F And Craftsman Survey for Serial Number & Nameplate Locations

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
If you have an Atlas 10F or Craftsman 101.07362, 101.07382 or 101.07402 or 101.07363, 101.07383 or 101.07403 and it was made in or prior to about 1945, please reply direct to wa5cab@cs.com with the following:

Serial Number

Model Number

Bed Length

Bearing dates (if known)

Location of nameplate (rear of bed or right end of bed)

Location of serial number (right end of front way or nameplate or both)

If nameplate is missing, please report location of nameplate mounting screw (or drive screw with round head that most people with think are rivets) holes and any of the other requested information that you know.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but where is the serial number located on a 10F?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for a few early ones, only on the nameplate. I haven't been able to pin down the date but around 1940 +/- 2, the nameplate was moved from the back of the bed to the right end, and the serial number from the bed to the nameplate. The suffix "S" disappeared at about the same time.

Except for a few early ones, only on the nameplate. I haven't been able to pin down the date but around 1940 +/- 2, the nameplate was moved from the back of the bed to the right end, and the serial number from the bed to the nameplate. The suffix "S" disappeared at about the same time.
Thank you!

If the nameplate is MIA, look for two or four (but I think two) small mounting holes for the drive screws that the plate was attached to the bed with.

I see that there is a thread here where folks are providing the above information for their lathes - Do you still want people to email you this info directly, or should I put it in the other thread?

Brin,

I don't recall writing such a request about anything except the Mk 2 6". But if I did, if you will tell me the thread title and post number, I will track it down and correct it.

On the subject of dates, that probably only applies to the 101.0740x and the 101.27430 and and 101.27440, and only to those made prior to about 1953. The babbit bearing models have no known way to date them other than an educated guess bases upon serial number and model number tied to the Craftsman Power Tools catalogs and which models appear in them. And the 101.07383 at least original was a babbit bearing model.

WRT the size of your particular lathe, in the USA lathes are generally sized as Swing x Distance between centers.. Scaling one of your photos, it looks like yours is a 12x36. You can confirm this by measuring the length in inches of the front way. The conversion list is:

12x18 36"
12x24 42"
12x30 48"
12x36 54"

The distance between centers is measured with a dead center in the spindle 3MT taper (no chuck installed) and with a 2MT dead center in the tailstock ram with the ram retracted to the Zero mark and with the right end of the 10D-6 tailstock base flush with the right end of the ways.

Scaling one of your photos says that your machine is probably a 12x36 instead of a 12x18. This is probably the most common size, Followed by 12x24, 12x30 and 12x18 last.

The only thing that I see wrong with your machine is that the Previous Owner who removed the motor switch and either oval or rectangular switch mounting plate and installed the drum switch should have reinstalled the plate (which changed circa 1942) and put a blanking plug in the switch mounting hole. If you check, I would expect to find swarf inside the headstock at that point. If you do not find the plate, use something else but plug that hole before the next time that you turn the motor on.

Brin,

I don't recall writing such a request about anything except the Mk 2 6". But if I did, if you will tell me the thread title and post number, I will track it down and correct it.

On the subject of dates, that probably only applies to the 101.0740x and the 101.27430 and and 101.27440, and only to those made prior to about 1953. The babbit bearing models have no known way to date them other than an educated guess bases upon serial number and model number tied to the Craftsman Power Tools catalogs and which models appear in them. And the 101.07383 at least original was a babbit bearing model.

WRT the size of your particular lathe, in the USA lathes are generally sized as Swing x Distance between centers.. Scaling one of your photos, it looks like yours is a 12x36. You can confirm this by measuring the length in inches of the front way. The conversion list is:

12x18 36"
12x24 42"
12x30 48"
12x36 54"

The distance between centers is measured with a dead center in the spindle 3MT taper (no chuck installed) and with a 2MT dead center in the tailstock ram with the ram retracted to the Zero mark and with the right end of the 10D-6 tailstock base flush with the right end of the ways.

Scaling one of your photos says that your machine is probably a 12x36 instead of a 12x18. This is probably the most common size, Followed by 12x24, 12x30 and 12x18 last.

The only thing that I see wrong with your machine is that the Previous Owner who removed the motor switch and either oval or rectangular switch mounting plate and installed the drum switch should have reinstalled the plate (which changed circa 1942) and put a blanking plug in the switch mounting hole. If you check, I would expect to find swarf inside the headstock at that point. If you do not find the plate, use something else but plug that hole before the next time that you turn the motor on.
I was referring to post #1 in this thread where you included your email address. I happened to find both this thread and the much longer thread at the same time as I was searching for the model number. But you answered my question (that you don't want this info mailed to you for a survey of these Atlas lathes).

Oh, OK. I might not have remembered it because I got no responses here and almost no responses direct. :(

Back