tawas23

Active User
Registered
Is this a 10F or a 10D ..I believe its a 10F lathe..anyone know for sure

- - - Updated - - -

this is the counter balance

Atlas Lathe listing picture.jpg lathe counter balance.jpg

Tawaz23,

The photo is too blurred and taken from the wrong angle to say for sure. Normally, the horizontal countershaft would indicate a 10F. But there is no way to prove that the countershaft that you have is original to the lathe.

The main identifiers of the 10F are:

1) 3/4" dia. lead screw (impossible to accurately judge in a small photograph)
2) two-piece carriage (there will be a screw in each top front corner of the carriage saddle and the vertical part that the carriage feed handwheel shaft goes through is a separate piece from the saddle).
3) power cross feed (there will be a pullout knob to the right of and slightly below the crossfeed crank)

Take a closeup photo of the top of the carriage. And a right front quarter shot (camera location no more than slightly above the bed surface and to the right of the carriage center). And measure the lead screw diameter.

Robert D.

I forgot to mention that if the bed still has the nameplate, the model number and/or serial number (serial number may be stamped on the top of the right end of the front way) can be a clue. Model numbers on a 10F will be of the form:

Vnn
Hnn
TVnn
THnn

where "nn" is the nominal bed length (36, 42, 48 or 54), "V" means babbit bearings and originally shipped with a vertical countershaft, "H" means babbit and horizontal countershaft, and "T" means Timken (tapered roller) bearings. Most serial numbers are straight numeric. Some have an "S" suffix, which no one seems to know the meaning of. A few have a "D" or "DT" prefix which I take to have been made during the 10D to 10F transition period.

Model numbers on a 10D will be 10nn (where "nn" is the bed length). Serial numbers probably have a "D" or "DT" prefix. Although if yours has the latter, the bed and headstock didn't ship on the same machine. There may be an "S" suffix. If your model number has an "A", "B", "C" or "E" suffix, it was originally a Unit Plan machine and certain subassemblies were bought and added later.

Robert D.

Thanks again for your help ..It does have power feed and the counter shaft is the horizontal... bench mount ..My other question is what Morse taper is the tail stock.... a number 2 I believe.. but I am not 100 percent for sure...I have all threading gears and everything on this lathe looks original ..lucky fine I hope ....I will post more pics today

tawaz,

When you say that it has "power feed", are you talking about the carriage feed or the cross feed? 10D and 10F both have power carriage feed. 10D does not have power cross feed.

The tailstock taper is 2MT. Spindle taper is 3MT.

Robert D.

Looks to be "F". I can just make out the power crossfeed knob and the apron bolt head on the left side.
Pierre

2MT on tail stock.. thank you.(.I love this site great helpful people) thanks again .....has silver pull out knob under cross feed crank handel on carriage right side ..on inside cover of belt guard it says 10F 24... should my next question on mounting the counter shaft and motor go here or start new thread on motor mounting????

Last edited:
Just keep it in this thread and maybe ask a mod to change the thread title.

Mounting the motor and countershaft are pretty easy, you bolt them down at an appropriate distance based on the belt length you have.

In your case you have the babbet bearings and it's going to be easy to take the top off to get the belt on. Make sure to get yourself a good new belt.

There are manuals on this lathe, maybe even on this site. Get a lube chart and make sure you lube everything before running it.

Tawas,

OK. It's a 10F. You'll find the illustrated parts manual in Downloads, plus some other useful files. You should also acquire a copy of the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation (MOLO) but you will have to purchase that. Prices on eBay average $25-$35. Before you do, check the Version Selection Chart that's also in Downloads. There were nine different versions, one best and two others useful. And be aware that most eBay sellers are clueless as to what they are selling. So you'll almost always have to ask questions to determine what they are actually selling.

On the other question about changing the thread title or starting a new thread, the preferred method for several reasons is to start a new thread.

Robert D.

Back