Atlas 10f Reverse Gearbox Bearing

This morning, I found in my copy of "Parts List for 1036T, 1042T, 1048T and 1054T" that 9-27 is the reverse gear case and 9-26 is the reverse gear case bushing (not illustrated). The prices are no longer valid though. The later version "Parts List for 10"-F Series Atlas Lathes" Lathe Bulletin 10L-6 dated June 1966 has the 9-27 Gear Case with bushing. So apparently the bushing must of been pressed in originally.
Pierre

At the shop I do have to make from time to time some alloys that have Zinc in them but not as it's major element. (51% or higher).
In looking in my reference books, Zamak has on average a Thermal Expansion of 15 μin/in-°F and Oilite Bronze bushings are 10 μin/in-°F. So it is possible to push out the bushing with a little heat, but has to be fully supported all around the bushing.

Zamak has a Solidification range (melting range) from 714 - 734F. Zamak has a very complex phase diagram that shows many zones prior to liquidus that are of a slushy state. This all depends on the alloy as well.

My suggestion is not open flame in direct contact to heat the casting. Best would be a heat gun at low to medium heat. Not high which the ones we use can reach over 1000F. Might be a simple as place the casting in boiling water for a few seconds to a minute?
Pierre

Well, I am not certain whether or not I ever saw a photo of a gearbox housing at that approximate angle. But if I ever did, it didn't have a bushing in it, as that I think I would remember. The parts list does not show a bushing. And I don't know of any other case where Atlas used bushings in steel or Zamak parts where the bushing wasn't shown as a replaceable part.
Both the 10-D and 10-F reverse gearboxes that I have on hand have a bushing in them. I haven't changed one of these but all of the bushings in my qcgb pushed in and out with a simple nut and bolt arrangement without heat. Took very little force and no galling .
HWF

OK. The 10F parts list does say for 9-27 "GEAR CASE with bushing". And the 918 parts list shows Bushing 9-26. So all reverse gearboxes do have a bushing.

When I wrote above "Heat to about 175 F", I was thinking of an oven, NOT an open flame. Hot water would also work.

Also, I would call Clausing and inquire whether they have any 9-26 Bushing in stock. If not, ask for a drawing of it. And of the 9-27 housing.

Thanks guys...I've got some work to do before attempting this repair...will post pics once underway!
Lou O.

Everyone;
I just contacted Clausing and was told that the bearing is not available as a separate item; further that it was cast with the original part when it was made. This will make it difficult or impossible to remove without destroying the casting. I have opted to order the replacement housing (with bearing) from Clausing. In studying the part, it is apparent to me that this gearbox housing, and its precise operation with the leadscrew and geartrain, is of considerable importance to the basic operations of this lathe; thus the reasoning behind my decision.
Lou O.

I am also in the process of removing some bushings from a quick change gearbox leavers. I used a piece of hardwood and a hammer to get them out.

Turned a piece of rosewood I had kicking around.
IMG_20150413_155924.jpg
It fits slightly into the bushing.
IMG_20150413_192616.jpg
IMG_20150413_192628.jpg
And the last thing was to make a spacer that would allow the bushing to go thru it but still provide support when I started hammering.
IMG_20150413_192653.jpg

I also drilled a hole in a piece of wood that I used as a support for the part as I was bashing it out. Worked fine.

Everyone;
I just contacted Clausing and was told that the bearing is not available as a separate item; further that it was cast with the original part when it was made. This will make it difficult or impossible to remove without destroying the casting. I have opted to order the replacement housing (with bearing) from Clausing. In studying the part, it is apparent to me that this gearbox housing, and its precise operation with the leadscrew and geartrain, is of considerable importance to the basic operations of this lathe; thus the reasoning behind my decision.
Lou O.

Wait, don't buy it yet. I have a casing (itrs actually in California right now) I can get it shipped to you and give you a much better deal than clausing.

IMG_3225.JPG
Everyone;
Lou O.
I hate to contradict Clausing but I highly doubt that was cast in. I had a spare reverse box sitting here with fairly worn bushing so I figured I would give it a try. I used a 13\16 socket on the inside and a short piece of conduit with a washer on the outside and a long 3\8 bolt running through it all. It took just a slight turn with a wrench to break things loose and the bushing came out by turning the nut with my fingers. It appears to be a plain piece of bronze bushing material . You should be able to get it from most anywhere that sells bushings. I got all that go in a QCGB from McMaster Carr.
should be a quick cheap fix. I might as well get a new one myself and fix this reverse box.
WH

Last edited:
Harrold, that it a great idea to remove the bushing. :encourage:

Back