Atlas 1500, 1571 & 6800 QCGB Housing Material

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
To any owners of Atlas 10" equipped with Atlas QCGB - is the main gearbox casting made of Cast Iron, Zamak or Aluminum?

Don't know about the 10" but it's magnetic on my 101.28940 must be ci

Robert,
I did check the numbers and I stand corrected the number was 6800 BUT in the booklet they relate to drawing # 1500 and 1570.
I guess in my old age its getting more difficult to read through cataract's
dgehricke

Check out this video. He explains some of the differences in the various gear boxes.

dgehricke

OK. If it was complete, it should have been a bolt-on change if you lathe is a 10F. The 6800 includes the tumbler and the plate that bolts onto the lathe and to which the tumbler is attached. If your lathe is a 10D or earlier, there is a hole that you must drill and tap first. A template came with the kit, which you probably didn't get. However, we do have the factory drawing for the templet.

Discodan,

The first thing to look for to ID one of the six QCGB models is the orientation of the main mounting bolts. On the 10", they are vertical and the bolts are visible after completing the installation. On the 12", two are horizontal and are hidden by the settings plate and on about the last half of the final version 12", one is vertical inside the headstock. Probably found only on the later production cabinet models, or possibly only on the later 3996 and 101.28990.

Robert could you send me a link for the Template for mounting. I have a drawing and I'm in the processor making one from ¾ Alum.
Thanks
Regards
dgehricke

Back