Atlas 3/8 inch square crank handle source?

Atlas2start

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,
I am looking for the crank handles that Atlas used on the various vises and on the mill draw bar, and a few other places. A call to Clausing confirmed that they are discontinued. The original Atlas part number is S7-100. Does anyone have a source for these. I have seen them going for $100 new. Now, they are $130. They must be out there someplace for cheaper than that! Anyone seen anything? They have Fairmont stamped on them, but that isn't coming up with anything.

Thanks,
Fred

The best place I found is EBay. You’ll have to pay up but if you want original Atlas, that’s the price. You can make you own though, with your lathe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't see any double-handle cranks but if you have no luck elsewhere, you might try McMaster. Search first on crank handles. Which will bring up some hand wheels and crank handles for hand wheels.

You might be able to find a blank crank handle and get a broach and make the square hole. Fairmount was a forging company, Armstrong may be another source.

Check with Dave, he had an assortment of different handles he was going to sell. If you know what it looks like, he did have pictures in the for sale adds I think.

mmcmdl

My machine wrenches are mostly old(?) acetylene tank wrenches. I have one that came with the shaper that's a 3/8 drive 7/16 socket, welded to a piece of bar stock. I am aware they existed and occasionally see them on eBay. But I'm not into restoration as such, I use whatever is comfortable to work with .

Both the shaper and the milling machine have 'retrofitted" nuts where the 7/16 hex fasteners have been replaced with 3/8 square heads. One wrench fits just about everything.

I have an Atlas shaper, and I wanted something to fairly rapidly run the table left and right. I bought a speed handle from NAPA and a female to female 3/8 adapter. Works real nice.

Check with Dave, he had an assortment of different handles he was going to sell. If you know what it looks like, he did have pictures in the for sale adds I think.
What's he looking for ?

"I am looking for the crank handles that Atlas used on the various vises and on the mill draw bar, and a few other places"

Looks kinda like this?

Attachments

• 6DAB478D-852F-4CA0-9471-0DCFC5913FA7.jpeg
    6DAB478D-852F-4CA0-9471-0DCFC5913FA7.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B77B3C3B-D24A-4D80-A465-F4F6A8D030A6.jpeg
    B77B3C3B-D24A-4D80-A465-F4F6A8D030A6.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 11
Back