Atlas 3991 clean up

nik

Registered
Registered
I just picked this thing up yesterday, dirty and sticky, but complete and lightly used. My goal with it is just a thorough disassemble and clean up, the paint seems to be in fine shape, and even under fairly intense scrutiny, nothing seems terribly worn.

I'm not quite sure where to look for a casting date on the bed, all I have been able to find appears to be a part number cast into the interior of the rear rail. I believe that it is a fairly early model, based on the serial number, but that is not really founded in any actual knowledge of production numbers.

I will try to document the process as best I can, and I'm sure questions will arise, but there seems to be a great deal of knowledge floating around on this site, so the answers will likely be found as well.
N

DSC_9696.JPG DSC_9715.JPG DSC_9712.JPG DSC_9714.JPG DSC_9721.JPG

Nik,

The Atlas 3991 was made from either 1957 or 1958 through 1966. Serial number data is quite sparse and Clausing has no records for whatever reason. But I would guess that your machine dates from the first year of production.

Robert D.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement, progress is being made... slowly. I have gotten all of the chucks and the qcgb cleaned up, thank you school for the use of your parts washer, and finally got most of the small tooling sorted. I think the tail stock and lead screw will be tomorrows project, at least if I can drag myself out of bed in time.

Some of the tooling it came with.

DSC_9728.JPG

More time over the parts washer, everything is looking good, the only issues I have found were a little burr on the double 48 tooth change gear bushing, caused by a little steel shaving that found its way in, and the tail stock clamping shoe has been broken and welded. That was the first time I have seen the inner workings of a qcgb, really cool, and velvety smooth for the number of bushings and gear transfers.
jpg.gif

If time and circumstance permit, the head stock will be coming apart over the next day or so. The mouse (or mice) who set up residence under the back gear will need to find a new home.
Would anyone happen to know the belt lengths for this thing, or where I might be able to find a manual for the under drive type, I have only been able to find the rear drive manuals.
Thanks in advance
N

DSC_9734.JPG

Last edited:
Just a couple more pics

DSC_9736.JPG DSC_9740.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Time worked out in my favor this morning and I was able to get the spindle out, not too much trouble, the only real issue was self inflicted. I missed one of the two set screws on the collar just inside the rear bearing and put a good scratch on the spindle for about 1/4" until I figured out what was happening. The bearings are dated 1-56 and 1-57

I am debating removing the head stock casting from the bed, are there any reasons why I should or shouldn't attempt this? (alignment etc)

Thanks in advance, N

Nik,

Nik,

I just uploaded an Atlas manual to the Downloads section. It covers 3980 through 3991. It's in the folder beginning "Atlas/Craftsman/..." as Atlas Lathe 12 3980-3991 12x24-36.pdf . However, you have to get up to 20 posts before you have access to Downloads. So if you want it sooner, send me an email at wa5cab@cs.com and I'll send it direct.

On removing the headstock from the bed, unless there is some good reason to do so, I wouldn't. You said earlier that you were going to clean up the paint but not repaint it. I can't think of any other reason why you might need to remove it.

Robert D.

Thanks wa5cab for the manual, it has already proven useful. I did end up removing the headstock from the ways, the thought of a fine abrasive slurry composed of mouse turds and carpet padding being flung at me was enough to convince me. I'm beginning to think that the lathe fell over at some point in its life, both headstock cover hinges have been welded, as well as the front mounting ear on the left foot. Hopefully nothing is bent, but I don't have any way to check until it is back together and making cuts, so onward with the cleaning and assembly.

DSC_9741.JPG DSC_9749.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nik,

OK. I agree that flung slurry was adequate reason for removal. :)
On the belts, I would just call Clausing and order a set. I don't recall their prices being any worse than the industrial supply houses. The two spindle belts will probably be a bit more expensive than the other two as they are a different belt class. However, I may be able to find the standard belt numbers on the set I bought last year or the set I bought back in the 80's and never used.

If you think that the machine may have been tipped over, now while you have part of the weight off would be a good time to check the cabinet for squareness.

Robert D.

What should I be looking for, aside from the 4 mount points being on the same plane, and how would I correct if it is twisted?

Back