Atlas 612

tinnerjohn

Registered
Registered
Just wondering how rare these are. I got mine about a month ago (wish it was bigger, but it will work for what I need now). I know they were discontinued after only a few years, curious if anyone else uses one. John

I've seen one before, only one, and boy was it ever cute!

-frank

I have to agree on the cute. I love the design of the old machines. I found a Dunlap bench drill press on Craigslist last week, it fits right in! Not only that, its at least 3 times the machine as the offshore one its replacing.

Just wondering how rare these are. I got mine about a month ago (wish it was bigger, but it will work for what I need now). I know they were discontinued after only a few years, curious if anyone else uses one. John
Got mine (612) about a month ago also, stripped it down to check out condition. Very good especially since it was made in 1937!
Havent made anything with it yet just turned down a few bolts to check for function. Damn but it IS cute!!
Rodney.

Mine just needed (so far) a good wipe down and oiling. I made a couple brass bushings for 5/8" bolts for a carrier for my Farmall Cub. Bored 1/2" brass pipe and turned the OD for a driving fit on the arms. If yours has the 2 step pulleys on the motor and countershaft, could you measure them for me? Mine has a 5" countershaft and 2" motor, spindle speeds are a little off from the Atlas chart, not sure if that would cause a problem for threading or not, but I'd like to get or make the right combination. John

Mine just needed (so far) a good wipe down and oiling. I made a couple brass bushings for 5/8" bolts for a carrier for my Farmall Cub. Bored 1/2" brass pipe and turned the OD for a driving fit on the arms. If yours has the 2 step pulleys on the motor and countershaft, could you measure them for me? Mine has a 5" countershaft and 2" motor, spindle speeds are a little off from the Atlas chart, not sure if that would cause a problem for threading or not, but I'd like to get or make the right combination. John

Hi John,
mine has a 3 1/8 and 1 7/8 pulley on the motor and 3 1/8 and 4 1/2 on the countershaft. I don't think the speed will affect the screw cutting accuracy as the spindle speed and the screw cutting gears will all be off by the same amount?
Rodney

Thanks Rodney. Westsailpat, I don't recall seeing a SN plate anywhere on it. Any idea where it would be if there is one? From my research I thought the Sears units were the only ones with SN's, but I could be wrong. John

Thanks Rodney. Westsailpat, I don't recall seeing a SN plate anywhere on it. Any idea where it would be if there is one? From my research I thought the Sears units were the only ones with SN's, but I could be wrong. John
If its like mine there is no plate, serial number is stamped into the top side of the bed right side near the tail stock.

OP, do you mean a atlas 10100? I looked at one in Craigslist and it was pretty solid for a small lathe.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back