Atlas 618 Counter Shaft

Voda2000

Registered
Registered
Hi, I’m new here. I purchased a Craftsman 101 lathe (Atlas 618) this summer and I’ve finally had time to go through it. It’s in ok condition and included a few accessories including the milling attachment.

The one thing that seems not in the best shape is the countershaft. The shaft is fairly scored and everything was seized on it. I managed to get it apart and clean up the shaft somewhat. Looking at the oillite bushing there is wear there too. And the shaft definitely is not snug in the bushing.

It looks like I could easily make a new shaft but pressing in new bushing would be a pain. I am wondering does it really matter if there is some play in the counter shaft away?

As long as the shaft turns smoothly and quietly just use it, a little play will make no difference.

As long as the shaft turns smoothly and quietly just use it, a little play will make no difference.

Awesome. Thanks for the help.

The reason I ended up taking it apart was because the previous owner bent both of the tension adjusting screws. Looking at it now, instead of moving the whole counter shaft assembly back they just kept screwing out the bolts. I’ll add that to the list of things that need fixing.

I also found that they had tightened that screw on the pulley in the head stock locking it to the shaft. Hopefully they never ran it this way and score the spindle. Assuming I never take the spindle apart and score the bearings I guess it won’t matter too much

You should replace the set screw/oil plug in the cone pulley with a nylon patch type. Buy several as after a few install/remove cycles the nylon patch won't hold any more.

If you are not using the back gears frequently, you can get by with oiling the cone pulley and small spindle gear bushings about once a month. But don't never oil them. And at the monthly intervals, oil them about three times, running the lathe for 15 or 20 seconds in Back Gear between each screw removal and application. After the third time, install a new screw.

If you are going to have a lathe, you should get comfortable with removing and installing bushings. Making the tools to do that (except for the press) is one of the things that lathes are good at. Either brass or aluminum round stock will be suitable.

Also, saying that you have a Craftsman 101 lathe tells whomever you are telling almost nothing. Over the years from about 1932 until 1981, , Atlas made nearly 100 different lathe models that Sears sold. Including both wood turning and metal turning models. And a 618 is an Atlas sold lathe, not Sears. Perhaps you have a Craftsman 101.21400, which is the same lathe as the later 618's except that it was only made in the 18" between centers size.

Sorry should have elaborated it’s a 101.21400 serial number 012410. Actually on that noteany idea how old it is?

I’m confused about the nylon plug. If you don’t insert the current screw to far what is the harm leaving it in place?

Good point about the bushings. I hadn’t thought about making the drifts to push them in or out. Chalk this up to another project I need to make with the lathe.

I’m have been doing some reading about proper lubrication and I have been using a 10w30 for the few time I’ve run the lathe but now I’m going to use 3in1 20 weight.

Right. And don't use any of the Loctite products in this particular application. Besides the fact that the threads in the hole will be oily and prevent proper curing, over time with periodic removal of the screw and application of more of the thread locker, the Loctite will get down to the spindle and bushings and cause problems.

On the oil, 3-in-1 SAE 20 would be fine but if you buy it in the little squirt cans, quite expensive. If you cannot find straight SAE 20 ND (Non-Detergent), it approximately crosses to ISO 68. Mobile Heavy Medium Circulating Oil is a good substitute for SAE 20 ND.

101.21400 s/n 012410 was probably made in late 1964.

Thanks so much.

This forum is really good. I spent last night going through the old threads and learned a lot.

Back