Atlas 618 project

RTullius99

Registered
Registered
Not sure if I’m doing this right, my first post ever to any group. I’ve always wanted a metal lathe and it just never happened for one reason or another. A couple months ago I saw a Craftsman 109.21270, on eBay, at what I thought was a reasonable price, that needed tool post, and a few other things, and he would ship. I bought it, but before I could get it running, I decided it wasn’t going to satisfy my needs. Now I’m cleaning it up and will get it mounted to a top so I can sell it as a running lathe. Now to get to my real questions, I bought a Atlas 618 on eBay a couple weeks ago, and it has turned out to be a lot worse than the seller indicated, he said everything moved, and the fact is practically nothing moves, so I will be rebuilding and restoring it, and will have way more invested than it will ever be worth... my son will probably get it when I die so it really doesn’t matter. For what I’ve spent I could have gotten a much larger lathe, but space is my problem. Here’s my problems, it’s the ‘bushing’ at the rear of the tail stock, I’ve tried a big screwdriver with a Crescent wrench that seemed to fit but no joy, so I don’t know what to do. Then the carriage traverse gear rail is giving me problems. The manual shows 5 screws, and I’ve removed them but won’t come off. There are 2 ‘pins’, one at each end of the rail, that seem to be holding it. Can’t tell if they are just alignment pins, or maybe like round head pins. I can get a screwdriver under the rail starting in the center, and then try working to the ends to get it off the pins, to the point I’m afraid if I go farther I’ll break the rail. Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

Greetings RT, the pins were attached to the gear rack on my 618, gentle prying with a paint scraper should work. As far as the tailstock bearing goes, try some Wd-40 and then some light taps with a punch. If you have not already you should download the manual.
The 618 is a great lathe, have fun.

Why are you removing rack? For cleaning? If so maybe you should leave it on bed,clean in place.most don't get broke or worn out..

Greetings RT, the pins were attached to the gear rack on my 618, gentle prying with a paint scraper should work. As far as the tailstock bearing goes, try some Wd-40 and then some light taps with a punch. If you have not already you should download the manual.
The 618 is a great lathe, have fun.
Thanks for the info, used the paint scraper and just knowing it would come off, gave the confidence to keep at it. As far as the tail stock bushing, I had a thick flat washer that fit the slots pretty good, then used a big Cresent, and couldn’t get it to move. As far as why I wanted to remove the rail and the bushing, is because I want to clean and repaint. I might just leave the bushing, not like there is anything wrong with it. I look forward to getting it put back together and start learning how to use it.

I have found that an impact driver, either manual or electrical powered can be helpful in removing things that don't want to. I have made some custom fit bits for just that application. A good fit will go a long way toward not marring the screw slot. And of course the usual methods get tried before going to the nuclear option.

Back