[Newbie] Atlas 618 Restoration

Cool ! I have 45 acres up near Albany in Adirondack Park . :) I make the drive up there quite often . 83 to 81 to 88 .

Nice. Not sure the route he goes. He is stationed near Youngstown Ohio. Although I used to drive out to Long Island for work and that's the way I went I believe.

Well, I was trying to get the handle off the carriage screw and it ended up breaking.... $20 on eBay. I'm gonna attempt to weld it back together sand it down and run a dye down it to fix the threads. It probably won't work but I've got nothing to lose by trying. Other than that I'm doing pretty good with it. Getting the paint off is a pain, I'm probably gonna have to get a chemical paint remover because I can't get the angle grinder with the wire wheel in all the spots.

I ran out of purple paint but I have some bright powder blue I used to paint my anvil. Gonna finish the last few pieces with that. It's coming along nicely though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 25
Great color! (who would throw away a 618?!)
:big grin:
Same kind of person who threw out a $16000 electric wheelchair, now in my possession. It will become a robotics platform soon.

Looks like a great color for the lathe. They say the best things in life are free!!!

(who would throw away a 618?!)
:big grin:
You would be surprised. My FIL works for the recycling company here in town. Usually he drives loads of steel to the barge on the river but when they need him he picks up dumpsters of scrap in different towns and brings them back where they get sorted to go to the barge. Most of the time he is running commercial loads and he has seen some things going to scrap that would blow you away. Literally.

He picked up a load at a farm house and when he went to close the door on it he noticed a nice wooden box with a lock on it. When he picked it up it was kind of heavy so he tossed it in the cab and took it to his boss. He asked the boss if he could buy it and he said yes so they decided on a price and then went to see if he could pick the lock or at least open it without damaging the wood. When he got it open he slammed it shut and went to his boss and told him to remove the contents so he could keep the box.

Boss opened it up and there was a 1911 and a Luger 9mm wrapped in an oil cloth. The boss took the pistols to the Sheriff's dept and explained the situation and they said they would hold them while the owner was contacted to see if they really wanted them gone. They did so the owner ended up getting them. The family said, the old man of the family had been in the war and they never knew he had them. The box was with "all of his war junk" and they didn't want any of it.

He has found old cars, tractors and plenty of other stuff. I have told him if he ever sees a milling machine let me know, I will pay double scrap price.

What a friggin pain it was getting the spindle all back together. Luckily my dad just brought me a giant c clamp with a 12 inch span. Didn't think about it until I tried for an hour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 14
Back