Atlas 618 Thread Chasing Dial Drawing

Alberg30

Registered
Registered
Hello All, I purchased an Atlas 618 lathe a while a go. Was stored in a barn for more than 30 years waiting for a new owner. Was pretty rusty but it cleaned up very nicely with very little wear. The only issue i have is that the thread chasing dial is missing,
Does anyone here know of or have a drawing the assembly that i could manufacture one from? I know its not a big issue to make one without a drawing, but a drawing would make things easier.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image1_1.jpeg
    image1_1.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
Hello All, I purchased an Atlas 618 lathe a while a go. Was stored in a barn for more than 30 years waiting for a new owner. Was pretty rusty but it cleaned up very nicely with very little wear. The only issue i have is that the thread chasing dial is missing,
Does anyone here know of or have a drawing the assembly that i could manufacture one from? I know its not a big issue to make one without a drawing, but a drawing would make things easier.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
If you're looking to make your own, I believe Clausing will give you prints to a part they are unable to provide. If you just need one, there are several on Ebay.

If it were me , I would just buy it from antfarm , $40 is not that bad from him . What tooling and accessories did your lathe come with ? Welcome to the forum .
Mark .

Unfortunately that vendor does not ship to our country.

Unfortunately that vendor does not ship to our country.
Call up the Clausing service center. Tell them your predicament and see what they say. You may get a print, which would be cool on it's own. But it's gonna be in imperial measurements...

Having an Atlas built Craftsman 12 inch, my comments don't really fit here, but. . . When cutting Imperial threads, the threading dial gets used. When cutting Metric threads, on an Imperial leadscrew, the half nuts stay closed and the machine is run in reverse to make the next pass.

Much of my threading is in metric, almost half maybe. I am (getting) old and my "muscle memory" is not fast enough to have two different systems, almost at random. I have removed the threading dial on both lathes and use only the one Metric system. It takes a little longer to cut a thread, true. But not that much longer and this is a hobby not a production operation. If you are practising threading and need to learn the Metric system anyway, just reverse the machine to make another pass. A threading dial is a nice improvement, but you need to know how to work the machine without it anyway.

Back