Atlas 618

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Not mine. Looks a biiiit pricey!Atlas 618
$_59.JPG

The market for hobby lathes may be quite different in the interior of British Columbia...but $2,000 seems "optimistic". Even though it looks like a pretty pristine example of a 618. OTOH, Kijiji buyers aren't shy about offering less than the asking price!

Craig

seems very high for a 618. I like my Atlas 618....and it's nicely tooled up and all clocked in. I sell it with all tooling in a heartbeat for 1200.00
And even that would be a gift to me for a 618 IN MY OPINION.... Unless they have markedly appreciated in the last year.

There a local 618 for sale, asking 800. Had look but passed on it.

seems very high for a 618. I like my Atlas 618....and it's nicely tooled up and all clocked in. I sell it with all tooling in a heartbeat for 1200.00
And even that would be a gift to me for a 618 IN MY OPINION.... Unless they have markedly appreciated in the last year.
I think the mixture of US and Canadian dollars in this thread is causing some confusion. USD $1,200 is approximately CAD $1,650 (give or take). The CAD $2,000 asking price in the original post doesn't look nearly so absurd compared to CAD $1,650.

Again, the original lathe is deep in the interior of BC which changes things

Craig

That lathe with all the extras will be between $1200 to $1500 CAD. in Ontario

Thanks for everyone sharing opinions of current market price for 618s. I have a nice one with tooling on a stand and would have put it on the market for much less. Who'd a thunk these little toys bring big lathe money now?

jack vines
spokane, wa

Currency exchange rates makes a lot of sense here and no doubt location means a lot with machine tools. That said... even at @1500. US in a remote location... It should be well tooled up for that price with decent 3 & 4 jaw chucks plus a qctp.
The 618’s are woefully inadequate until you put a QCTP on them. They just aren’t ridged. But... they are wonderful little lathes to get ones foot in the door. And the atlas Groups.io is an excellent forum with tons of beginners getting all their questions answered daily. Really a great resource for a beginner. I always keep a soft spot in my heart for my 618 because it got my foot in the door when I was just getting started. Not great for steel...but adequate for aluminum and brass plus most plastics.

David, if you are looking to buy a lathe (not stated) then what are your plans for what you want to do with it? The Atlas 618 is a very light lathe and is really only suitable for smaller work and preferably with softer metals. Good work can be done with them, but they are limited. Also, what do you have room for? The Atlas will fit into a tight area if that is a requirement, if not, an import 12x36 can be had for about the same price as that 618 is offered at, and perhaps less. It will be MUCH more capable. Starting out slow in a hobby can be a good thing, but not if it limits and frustrates you...

Back