Atlas 618

Thanks all,
I have a mini lathe now so am not planning on buying the 618 (or any 618 for that matter) I was just surprised by the asking price. As others have said, local conditions dictate pricing.

The 618’s are woefully inadequate until you put a QCTP on them.

The answer is probably available somewhere here, but a quick search didn't find it for me, so what is a
"good enough for a 618" QCTP
and where did you buy it?

jack vines

Here is the answer from our site's archives:

Small machines hold their value well because their is a lot of demand for them. Far more people can find space for a small lathe than a full size.

With something like the small Atlas / Craftsman lathes you also begin to see the effect of collectors. Many deride Atlas lathes for their flat ways and cheap material (zamak) but regardless of their faults they have a very large following.

The little mills are similar Benchmaster and Atlas mills are often $1500 and I've seen them as high as $2600, prices that put them in direct competition with larger, much more capable machines. They are of a useful size for a hobbyist with a small space, US made and have become collectible so there are people willing paying those prices. It wouldn't surprise me if there are people with a shelf full of little machine shop tools on display, people will collect anything.

I have developed a bit of an obsession for small machines, and also have a collector gene passed down from my Dad. Luckily for my bank account my miserly tendencies, and already having good machines has kept things in check, so far... The result is I do watch for small machines to get an idea of prices and looking for a bargain. I do see the Atlas / Craftsman 6" lathes occasionally asking $1000-2000 (US), but I see enough at $300-600 to think the lower end is probably more realistic unless exceptionally nice and / or well tooled.

The answer is probably available somewhere here, but a quick search didn't find it for me, so what is a
"good enough for a 618" QCTP
and where did you buy it?

jack vines

Little Machine Shop makes a good one. I have their OXA on my Sherline and I've been happy with it. Not the cheapest QCTP but they are decent quality. They sell a specific package for mounting to the Atlas lathes.

Little Machine Shop QCTP for Atlas lathe

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Seems a QCTP is $150 - $300. Now, that's more than I paid for the lathe. Just reinforces what I knew to be true; buy a fully tooled, fully operational machine.

I got a good deal on the lathe, but I've welded up a stand, added a motor, a switch, change change gears, tooling and now it needs a QCTP.

Anyway, good to know it's still at the break-even point should I decide to sell it.

jack vines

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Seems a QCTP is $150 - $300. Now, that's more than I paid for the lathe. Just reinforces what I knew to be true; buy a fully tooled, fully operational machine.

I got a good deal on the lathe, but I've welded up a stand, added a motor, a switch, change change gears, tooling and now it needs a QCTP.

Anyway, good to know it's still at the break-even point should I decide to sell it.

jack vines
For what it's worth I bought a 0XA Machifit QCTP and four tool holders from Banggood for $140 CDN.
I'm very impressed with their quality.

Wow... I’m surprised that an aluminum OXA QCTP cost that much. I’d definitely keep an eye on Banggood
I’m sure I paid @ 100 for mine from Little Machine shop.
Anyway... paying extra for a well tooled package definitely saves one in the long run.

For what it's worth I bought a 0XA Machifit QCTP and four tool holders from Banggood for $140 CDN.
I'm very impressed with their quality.
Thanks for the link, but one has to look carefully. It nearly had me ordering one tool holder instead of the complete kit in the illustration. Very misleading at first.

jack vines

Thanks for the link, but one has to look carefully. It nearly had me ordering one tool holder instead of the complete kit in the illustration. Very misleading at first.

jack vines

It’s a bit confusing.
You select the specific parts you want and add the quantity.
Took me a few minutes to understand what was going on.
It’s a wedge-style steel post.
Steve Jordan does a review which is what steered me to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack vines

The LMS QCTP is a set with the correct mounting stud for the Atlas and several tool holders. Many of the cheaper ebay tool posts are just one tool holder and you are on your own for mounting it to your specific lathe, usually set up for the Chinese mini-lathes. Easy to spend more on a "bargain" tool post if not comparing like to like as you have noticed.

Someone on the forum made their own QCTP. It isn't the Aloris style but looked functional, just different. I tried searching for the post, but coming up empty.

Back