Atlas 618

pandreasen

Registered
Registered
Anyone ever try to swap out the tool post compound assembly for on from a different lathe? Not only does the original like to break, but the T for the tool post holding screw is not only weak, but allows a LOT of flexing! Would like something ~the right height that could be used (even with a different cross slide base) that is a solid top that could be tapped so the tool post could be screwed to it. It seems like that would give the maximum strength, and not flex so when a deep bite is needed.
Any ideas or comments appreciated. (exc the usual "why do..."

I saw somebody on youtube that did that with a Chinese lathe and was really happy with it. Only downside I see is losing taper turning with the compound rest.

Just my personal experience, but every part on that little jewel is light and weak for a reason. Beef up one part and the transmitted stress is likely to break something else.

jack vines

Right. I would consider it for more precise cuts, rather than deeper cuts.
Just my personal experience, but every part on that little jewel is light and weak for a reason. Beef up one part and the transmitted stress is likely to break something else.

jack vines

Replacement of the compound with a solid plinth is useful for smaller lathes that can use some
help with rigidity. A number of members here have done it, and I think all of them were satisfied with the result.

Last edited:
Back