Atlas 6x18 Mk 2 Model #10100 spindle bearing lube question.

Rhodie100

Registered
Registered
Hello, I am new to the forum. Thanks for accepting me to the group.
I recently picked up an Atlas 618, model 10100 and am in the process of getting it up and running. When I disassembled the spindle I found that the Timken roller bearings were lubed with grease. The cavity between the bearings also contained a fair amount of grease. While cleaning everything up I found there is a small oil cup on the back of the headstock housing which dumps oil into the cavity between the spindle bearings. There are bearing cups on the outer (exterior) faces of the bearings, but not on the inner faces...….It looks to me that these bearings are supposed to be oil lubed and not greased. Am I correct? Does it matter if they are greased instead? Thanks

Welcome to the Atlas/Craftsman & Dunlap AA page Rhodie100 , the 618 is a great machine and there is a ton of information here . The Timkins need oil and not grease , hopefully they are still good . How about some pictures and tell us your plans and projects . Mark

the headstock uses tapered roller bearings.
tapered roller bearings run in grease in your car's steering axle
Conversely , tapered roller bearings also run in oil- in over the road semi trucks for both the drive and steer axles

for lathes, oil is preferable to grease

grease has a nasty habit of pulling contaminants into the grease, then the contaminant mixes with the grease,
where spindle oil and non detergent oil have a propensity for shedding contaminants

Plus when you re-pack for example wheel bearings, you first remove all of the old grease. The only way that you can do that on any Timken equipped spindle is to first remove the spindle from the headstock, which you should do at least annually. But no one will, so don't use grease. Once it is in there, it can and will block oil from getting to the bearings. The factory recommended lubricant for the spindle bearings and for everything else on the machine except the open gear teeth is SAE 20 ND. The MK 2's have a single oil cup on the rear of the headstock and galleries that connect it to each bearing. The factory instruction is to fill the cup until oil seeps out below each bearing. Frequency is Daily or before each use.

Thanks a lot for your responses. The bearings sounded like they were running dry but looked well greased when I took them apart. Unfortunately the bearings weren't in very good shape and are being replaced.

While you have both bearings out, blow out the oil passageway from the oil cup with HP air to ensure that there is no dried grease in it. After pressing the new cups in, make sure that the exit holes are still clear before installing the spindle.

Back