Atlas 7B Disassembly and Teardown! Pic Heavy!

Now we can finally get to work on the crank gear.

First remove the six large flat head screws. On my machine it looked like they were heavily staked in place but I noticed that some of the stake marks were not lined up exactly like they should be. That tells me someone has disassembled these screws before. I had to use an impact screwdriver to remove them. Some took about a half dozen good whacks!

EM520117.JPG

The plates then come off.

EM520120.JPG

Both plates removed.

EM520121.JPG

Notice the socket head bolts. Four are visible here and one half hidden at six o'clock. There's another one behind the rectangular block.

They all get removed.

EM520122.JPG

These were not very tight on my shaper.

EM520123.JPG

To get the one behind the rectangular block, turn this square head shaft from the feed mechanism.

EM520124.JPG

That will move the rectangular block and reveal the socket head bolt.

EM520125.JPG

EM520126.JPG

Remove the other four bolts.

EM520127.JPG

EM520128.JPG

Great progress!

I've had parts of that apart, but not that deep obviously. One thing I WAS amazed at is how (took it apart today!) Simple the ratchet mechanism is! They go for tons of money I'm told, and break often. They seem reasonably easy to make for something so simple!

At this point I thought the gear could be tapped out. The gear has a large shallow counter bore that fits snugly to a mating face very much like a lathe chuck fits on a face plate. There's also an alignment pin in the gear that indexes to that mating face plate.

I think it is possible to remove the gear at this point, but after I tapped on it a few times through the switch hole I decided to remove some more stuff just to see if there were any more hang ups.

I set to work to remove the rectangular block on the crank gear. You could do this step before you remove the six socket head bolts from the previous post. That would save you the trouble of repositioning the block to reveal the other bolt.

There is a set screw on the block holding a nut like on a lathe cross slide. The set screw is backed up with a jam nut/lock washer.

EM520131.JPG

Once loosened you can wiggle the block out. It took some light prying.

EM520132.JPG

Removed.

EM520133.JPG

The pinion on the center shaft is what I was worried about keeping the gear from tapping loose. I saw the assembly in the manual and didn't want to mess up the teeth on that pinion by forcing the gear off while the teeth were meshed.

EM520134.JPG

Loosen the nut on the end of the shaft, seen here caked in old grease.

EM520135.JPG

5/8" was a sloppy fit, but 9/16" was too small. The nut was not very tight so 5/8" did the trick. Hold the other end of the shaft with a wrench to keep it from turning while you loosen the nut.

EM520136.JPG

The nut was not very tight.

EM520137.JPG

Lock washer.

EM520138.JPG

EM520139.JPG

Almost there!

At this point I tried tapping the gear off again. I thought the lead screw and pinion would come off with the gear but it actually didn't.

I had to remove the switch plate cover first. Two flat head screws. These pics are from earlier in the process.

EM520041.JPG

EM520042.JPG

I then tried tapping the gear through the switch hole with a brass drift.

EM520129.JPG

Keep rotating the gear to tap evenly along the whole circumference.

EM520130.JPG

Eventually it comes free!

EM520140.JPG

Here can be seen the counter bore face plate interface.

EM520141.JPG

It's out!

EM520142.JPG

This is the backside, note the locating pin.

EM520143.JPG

Turns out the pinion and lead screw stay attached to the shaft part. So You can actually remove the gear BEFORE delving into the nut on the end of the shaft and the pinion gear. It probably doesn't really matter either way.

EM520144.JPG

I couldn't easily pull off the pinion gear so I tried tapping the shaft out from the inside.

EM520145.JPG

EM520146.JPG

It moved easily and allowed me to remove the pinion gear.

EM520147.JPG

EM520148.JPG

Another tiny woodruff key.

EM520149.JPG

And a spacer.

EM520150.JPG

There was on the back side of the spacer a tiny ring of brass. This is not shown on the manual.

EM520151.JPG

All parts removed form the shaft.

EM520152.JPG

The shaft now easily pulls out.

EM520153.JPG

EM520154.JPG

EM520155.JPG

Now to tap the outer shaft from the outside towards the inside of the column. This was a little bit tight but the soft faced dead blow moved it no problem.

EM520156.JPG

The shaft popped out with its bearing.

EM520157.JPG

Loads of grease! I intend to restore this machine to the proper recommended lube, which is light oil. If I hadn't taken this apart to clean out the grease the oil might have never found its way to the bearings.

EM520158.JPG

EM520159.JPG

Here's a view of the screw mechanism.

EM520160.JPG

The bearing on the outside popped out when the shaft was released.

EM520161.JPG

Now the bearing housing can be removed. It was lightly tapped around the circumference after the bolts were taken out.

EM520171.JPG

It comes out of a shallow bore.

EM520172.JPG

More grease.

EM520173.JPG

Looks fresh at least!

EM520174.JPG

And that's the crank gear removed! The last piece is the pinion shaft. It's the smaller gear that turns the crank gear. I actually tried to remove it BEFORE the crank gear but I found some interference that indicated it would be much easier to remove the pinion shaft if the crank gear was out of the way.

The shaft now easily pulls out.

View attachment 327074

View attachment 327075

View attachment 327076

Now to tap the outer shaft from the outside towards the inside of the column. This was a little bit tight but the soft faced dead blow moved it no problem.

View attachment 327077

The shaft popped out with its bearing.

View attachment 327078

Loads of grease! I intend to restore this machine to the proper recommended lube, which is light oil. If I hadn't taken this apart to clean out the grease the oil might have never found its way to the bearings.

View attachment 327079

View attachment 327080

Here's a view of the screw mechanism.

View attachment 327081

The bearing on the outside popped out when the shaft was released.

View attachment 327082

Now the bearing housing can be removed. It was lightly tapped around the circumference after the bolts were taken out.

View attachment 327083

It comes out of a shallow bore.

View attachment 327084

More grease.

View attachment 327085

Looks fresh at least!

View attachment 327086

And that's the crank gear removed! The last piece is the pinion shaft. It's the smaller gear that turns the crank gear. I actually tried to remove it BEFORE the crank gear but I found some interference that indicated it would be much easier to remove the pinion shaft if the crank gear was out of the way.
Great job documenting the process! We all love seeing how these machines actually work. Another plus side to many photos is when you put it back together you can review them in case the Atlas manual and the actual shaper differ some.

Bruce

Yea, I’ll probably take a few days to clean everything up so referring back to the pictures will be a great help.

The last part to come out is the pinion shaft.

Here it can be seen with its 4 step pulley. Remove the single set screw in the pulley groove.

EM520081.JPG

The pulley comes off fairly easily.

EM520082.JPG

Pinion shaft. Another tiny woodruff key. The threads on the end are for the grease cup.

EM520083.JPG

There's a threaded nut to remove on both ends of the shaft. It's tough to see through the years of dried grease.

EM520084.JPG

But there's two holes like the nut on an electric angle grinder.

EM520102.JPG

There's also a set screw on each of the threaded nuts. That is one on each end of the shaft. Below is the pulley end.

EM520103.JPG

And the other end.

EM520104.JPG

Here you can see the two holes for a spanner wrench.

EM520105.JPG

And the same two holes on the pulley side of the shaft.

EM520107.JPG

I modified an angle grinder wrench to fit. The center to center was just slightly too large on the wrench so I just ground the pins a little to fit.

EM520108.JPG

It was not super tight.

EM520109.JPG

The other one came off in similar fashion.

EM520110.JPG

Now we turn our attention to the inside parts of the shaft. You'll notice that the crank gear is still installed in the following pictures. That is because the pictures were taken before I realized that the crank gear must be removed BEFORE the pinion shaft. If you attempt to tap the pinion shaft out with the crank gear still installed, the collars on the pinion shaft will hit the crank gear preventing removal of the shaft.

On the pinion shaft are a couple of collars and a gear. There is a collar on the left but it's kind of buried. Solid pins hold the right collar and gear onto the shaft. Below, the punch is pointing to the pin in the collar.

EM520111.JPG

And the pin in the gear. It's hard to see.

EM520112.JPG

They punch out with little effort.

EM520114.JPG

The gear can be slid on the shaft to reveal a woodruff key. It's not visible in the picture but there is a tiny solid pin that is drilled axially in the gear that mates with a hole in the buried collar on the left side of the picture. That pin is around 1/8" diameter and 1/2" long.

EM520115.JPG

From here I had removed the crank gear and the shaft can be tapped out from either side. The bearing will push out the race since the bearings are pressed to the shaft more tightly than the races are pressed. Below is the race from the pulley side nearly removed. I tapped the opposite side with a brass drift.

EM520119.JPG

A little more tapping frees it up.

EM520162.JPG

Now since the crank gear is gone, the whole shaft can be removed through the race bore. First we see the pulley side bearing.

EM520163.JPG

Next is the collar that was buried in the previous shots.

EM520164.JPG

Followed by the gear.

EM520165.JPG

And finally the other collar and bearing.

EM520166.JPG

The astute among us may realize that there really is no need to remove the pins from the collar and gear in a earlier steps since the whole shaft comes out through the bore anyway. You would be correct. However at the time I was trying to figure out how to get the shaft out with the interference of the crank gear. I thought that if I freed up all the collars/gears/bearings on the shaft that I could slide the shaft out from inside those parts. Turns out the bearings are pretty tightly pressed on though so this idea didn't work.

Once I removed the crank gear, the pinion shaft becomes much easier and the collars/gear could have been left in place. You would simply tap on the shaft to press out the opposite race, then the shaft could be passed through with all its collars and gears in place.

The last part is the opposite side race. I tapped it out with a brass drift.

EM520167.JPG

EM520168.JPG

EM520169.JPG

Nice!

EM520170.JPG

That's it! We've removed all the internal parts to an Atlas 7B shaper! Now for lots of cleaning...

Back