Atlas 7B Disassembly and Teardown! Pic Heavy!

The oiling on this shaper has to be done constantly, its a oil lost system. That is why a South Bend is better in this sense, they have an oil sump and a pump in the later models. My Atlas was in bad shape when I got it from lack of oiling, I think it was used in a school, thus the optional motor protector, in case a student jammed it.

This is motivating me to finally get around to working on the (Ammco) shaper.

It ain't broke, but I have some mods I want to make that require removing the knee. Hopefully I can do that with just the apron removed and the ram slid all the way back. I plan to drill and tap holes in the apron and the knee for DRO mounts and a semi-permanent indicator mount (apron only).

Thanks guys! I got some more done today. The crank arm has been removed as well as most of the feed gears and their housing. The pinion shaft is giving me trouble though. I think I have to remove the big crank gear before the pinion shaft will come out.

Here's how I got the crank arm out.

First I removed the plate on the crank arm. Four slotted screws

EM520074.JPG

EM520075.JPG

The plate also has pins that located it on the crank arm. It took a little prying and wiggling to get it free.

EM520076.JPG

EM520077.JPG

Next the block is removed from the slot in the crank arm and the large pin on the crank gear.

EM520078.JPG

EM520079.JPG

According to the manual there should be a spacer behind the block, as pictured below. I seem to be missing that spacer.

Missing Piece.jpg

Here you can see a trough machined into the top of the block. I believe the idea is that you squirt oil through the hole in the flat plate that was removed a moment ago and the oil pools into this trough in the block, metering out a little oil at a time during operation.

EM520080.JPG

For the following steps the machine must be accessed from underneath.

EM520089.JPG

Now we get a peek at the filthy under carriage!

Here's what it looks like before any more parts are removed.

EM520091.JPG

There are three set screws to remove in order for the shaft to slide out. Two are in collars that set the shaft side to side in the machine and one is in the crank arm.

Collar.

EM520092.JPG

Crank arm. The manual says there should be a lock washer and jam nut on this set screw. There's even a boss on the casting for it.

EM520093.JPG

Collar.

EM520094.JPG

I removed all three completely, just to be safe. 1/8" Allen.

EM520095.JPG

Now the shaft is tapped through the column. It drove pretty easily for me.

EM520096.JPG

Almost there!

EM520097.JPG

Aaaaaaannnnnddd Yahtzee!

EM520098.JPG

All the collars and shaft removed. Set screws reinstalled to avoid losing.

EM520099.JPG

And here's the arm. I don't think I need to disassemble the last link, I'll just clean it up.

EM520100.JPG

Or maybe I will pull it apart. I've come this far!

EM520101.JPG

All that's left inside the column is the large crank gear and the pinion shaft. Like I mentioned earlier the pinion shaft is putting up a bit of a fight. It's got a tapered roller bearing on each end that seems to be tightly pressed onto the shaft and races that are more lightly pressed into the column. There's also some collars and the pinion gear affixed to the shaft with solid pins. I got some of the parts freed up but it looks like if I remove the crank gear first the pinion shaft will come out with its bearings and collars still on the shaft. I'll try to get pics when I get to that part.

Last edited:
Try not to let the pin fall to the floor, roll under a table, disappear for a few minutes and get covered in saw dust and spider webs.

We call that "dust blueing".

Pretty interesting seeing what differs from the Ammco. Going to see about getting the knee off today, which means dismantling the ratchet mechanism.

UPDATE: Well, that was easy. Ratchet mechanism is a T-nut, with a screw-and-washer as a stop. Slid right out, intact. Ran the table all the way out (to the left) to expose the leadscrew nut for the knee; with the knee as low as it could go, Removed the two SC screws holding the knee to the nut. Had to remove the wipers and the knee lock (the tommy bars comes right out with a drift), then loosened the gib and the knee lifted right off. The knee is now sitting on a board on the mill table, begging me not to do any lasting damage.

Last edited:
Today I finally got everything out of the column! It'll take me a few days to post up all the pics though.

Next we'll tackle the feeding mechanism! In order to get the large crank gear out some of this stuff must be removed first.

Start by removing this connecting arm. It's a hex bolt on the forward side...

EM520043.JPG

EM520044.JPG

And a square head on the rearward side. Incidentally, this is where you change the feed from right to left, by loosening the square bolt and moving the T nut in the slot from "L" to "R" and retightening the bolt.

EM520045.JPG

Arm removed!

EM520046.JPG

Next up, the housings. They are just cast pot metal (zamak) so treat them gently.

Loosen and remove the large knurled lock nut. Hold the square nut simultaneously to keep the shaft from turning.

EM520049.JPG

Nut removed.

EM520050.JPG

There are two flat head screws holding the feed gear housing cover. Below is the rear screw...

EM520047.JPG

And the front screw.

EM520048.JPG

Please ignore the fact that the knurled nut is still installed in the previous two shots. Initially when taking the pictures I didn't realize that the nut must be removed BEFORE the two screws. I thought the cover might lift off vertically. It doesn't

Now the cover comes off. NOTE! there are alignment pins below each screw, watch out for them! They may stick in either side of the housing or fall out completely.

EM520051.JPG

The T nut now can be freed from its slot.

EM520052.JPG

Out it comes!

EM520053.JPG

More on the way!

Last edited:
To get the T nut gear off you must remove the nut on the back side of the housing. You can use a large flat screwdriver on the face to aid in removing the nut on the back side.

Here's a picture of the back side nut. Notice the T slot on the right side of the picture.

EM520054.JPG

If I recall this nut was 11/16"

EM520055.JPG

It's backed up by a lock washer and flat washer.

EM520056.JPG

Now the T nut gear slides right out.

EM520057.JPG

EM520058.JPG

Replace the hardware to keep track of it.

EM520059.JPG

Now for the other gear. It has a set screwed collar to hold it in place.

EM520060.JPG

This collar is actually threaded. The manual says there should be a piece of lead shot at the base of the set screw to protect the threads. I did not find such a thing but will keep that in mind for reassembly.

EM520061.JPG

Collar removed.

EM520062.JPG

Now the gear simply slides off.

EM520063.JPG

Presto!

EM520064.JPG

Almost done with this part!

Note the tiny woodruff key. Don't loose it! There's a few such keys in the shaper.

EM520065.JPG

Next I removed the bearing retainer ring. It's got six flat head screws.

EM520066.JPG

After the screws are gone it falls off.

EM520067.JPG

Next is a spacer ring that was behind the gear.

EM520068.JPG

It is also keyed.

EM520069.JPG

EM520070.JPG

Side cutters make for easy key removal!

EM520071.JPG

The rear part of the housing now slips off. Mine was quite tight and required lots of wiggling back and forth and some very light prying around the circumference.

EM520072.JPG

These housing castings are very thin and fragile. Be careful with them!

EM520073.JPG

That does it for the feeding mechanism. The large cylinder with the bolts around the flange is part of the bearing housing for the crank gear shaft. It will come off later during the crank gear removal. It's about the last piece to come off.

Back