Atlas 7b jackshaft seals?

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I posted back in March about some tweeks to the 7b I rescued. Rather than post again to that thread Where I asked about this problem amongst other, I decided to be more direct. After getting the old 7b home and working my way around it cleaning and fixing the various problems, I got the Iron Maiden making chips. One of the hang fires though was trying to find some kind of fix for the jackshaft. The original seals were felt and the housing the jackshaft bearings run in with the roller bearings has a oil cup. If I put hardly anything in it, it soaks the felt, then slings oil over the back of the friction brake pulley and over the motor etc. now undoubtedly this is part of the nature of the beast, but I sure would like to find some kind of flat seal or something I could at least cut it down to a seep instead of a constant splash. I will try to post a pic of the factory blowup. The old felt washer is 9-111. Along with some before and after cleanup. I'm not a paint kinda guy, just like 'em to be clean and run good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What I did on mine was to make new felt seals and use Kluber grease on the roller bearings and not use oil anymore.

Hmm, not thought of that. Tried to look up Kluber grease and it's all dependent on application. My go to grease now for bearings is synthetic food grade Teflon grease that is used in food packing. Once you put that on ball or roller bearings it hangs in there forever. Almost impossible to gall. I guess I just got too focused on trying to find a flat lipped seal so I could keep using the oiler. There is a good reason this machine needs a drip pan. If it's not making a mess it isn't being lubed properly. :)

Wait till you really start using the Atlas, oil all over the place:). When they mention a lost oil system they aren't kidding. That is why I converted the jackshaft and the main bull gear bearings to grease only. But I oil the hell out of the ram and yoke!

I have done several long projects and I know all about the "lost oil system". That's why I have the sump underneath it. I got that with my RF30 and was just used as a parts tray. I do like the recommendation and oil the ram, and interior oil holes of the adjuster mechanism with every use.

The bull gear and lower drive gear were made to use grease. In the manual they mention tacky grease, so I asked down at the local auto parts and they produced "Red and Tacky". Yup, that's the name and it's seems to really do the job and stay on the bull gear and make the whole thing run quieter. I don't mind the drips etc, it's what kept the machine from rusting the decades it was buried in the barn where I got it from.

The other project I would like to tackle is to make a motor belt cover. Mine was missing,nthe only thing it was missing. I think it's integral to making the clutch work properly by the belt being contained and help it to not rub on the pulley when the clutch is engaged. I know it's not a perfect system, but it think it would work better with the cover. I keep wishing I could find somebody local who has a 7b with the motor belt cover that I could trace it and the cool vents. I've made belt guards before and this would be a worthwhile project. I've been watching eBay and even the plastic replacements are too expensive IMHO.

When your playing with machines from the teens ,twenties, thirties, forties, or fifftes if it isn’t leaking oil you need to add some.
Thanks ron

Back