Atlas 7b tweeks

Thanks frugalguido for some explanation.
Interesting mod's.
I know it's tough to show them in retrospect but I for one would be very interested if it's at all possible. Some of your descriptions I think I understand, but I'm new to shapers in general and this is my first in depth contact with one.

I try to post some pictures when I find them of in process and will take some of exterior mods. I am thinking that it might be better to start my own thread on my 7B. I will also start a thread on my new idea that I have been studying up on, a appox. 1/6 size model of the Cincinnati XM-1 42" high speed shaper from the early 60's but with a twist, instead of gears and hydraulic clutches use AC servo's and CNC control which they didn't have in the 60's.

Please do start another thread on your mod's. I look fwd to it!

After getting the shims on the ram squared away and finding that there was actually an extra on one side, the clearance was around .0015. I took the time to install a couple of gib locks on the head like frugalguido and everything is now perfect. It's cutting smooth and totally square(!) with no more mystery chatter or wander. I think most of the problem was not having the head gibs cranked down. But with the locks I don't have to run them so tight until I get ready to cut which I think is easier on the screw and nut. For me the hardest part is remembering to tighten all the different things back down after setup.

Thanks for that suggestion frugalguido.

on mine the moving jaw of the vise lifts a LOT. I need to address that. Nice to see the other suggestions regarding oil groves etc. First I am going to build a base, then I will look at the machine in detail. One thing I will rig up is a micro switch going to a relay to shut the machine off at the end of a pass so that I can do other work while it is doing a pass. Although for now I find myself staring at it while it runs - it is hypnotic.

I was wondering if anybody has made an auto down feed for any of the smaller shapers that don't come with one. In one of the books in the archive there is a description of a down feed the author made for his Acorn. To me it seems overly complicated with the modded 100tooth gear and rack, linkage etc. To me it seemed like he didn't take advantage of the natural motion of the arm to index the downfeed directly and used it instead to power the rack gear setup.

Just curious....

Personally I would go to electric/electronic in this day and age for any downfeed or any auto functions. It could open up a whole lot of possibilities. I am currently designing ( very early design stage, proof of concept) a CNC shaper that uses screw driven ram with auto tool post lifter (allows the use of carbide) and steppers on the table movements. Basically building a 1/5 scale model of the Cincinnati XM-1 using 2017 technology . Probably asking what the hell is that. It was the most advanced metal shaper ever built, but came about a little late in the game. Super high cutting speed, 400 ft/min. Used gears and hydraulics, I am going to try using electrics and electronics, just for a hobby and a learning experience.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...r-cincinnati-all-steel-42-inch-shaper-2-3.jpg

The Cincinnatti is a very impressive machine. What time frame is this? How many were made?

Personally, electronics is not what I'm most adept at or comfortable with. I have a much simpler mechanism than the Acorn in mind, but was hoping others would post their mechanical solutions in case I was reinventing the wheel or had missed something obvious.

I would be very interested in seeing your CNC shaper. On another thread Bob Korves quipped that somebody should come up with a CNC shaper. It would be interesting to see if it was simpler than the usual mechanical shaper.

If you think it you can build it , seems man's always overcome the cants and he does.

The Cincinnatti is a very impressive machine. What time frame is this? How many were made?

Personally, electronics is not what I'm most adept at or comfortable with. I have a much simpler mechanism than the Acorn in mind, but was hoping others would post their mechanical solutions in case I was reinventing the wheel or had missed something obvious.

I would be very interested in seeing your CNC shaper. On another thread Bob Korves quipped that somebody should come up with a CNC shaper. It would be interesting to see if it was simpler than the usual mechanical shaper.

The Cincinnati was made in the late 50's and they made two as far as I know, One was shown at a machine trade show, probably to see how much interest there was. They did obtain a patent on it. Just to give you a idea how big it was, 13.5 feet long and weighed 14300 lbs, some metal there!

On the atlas, the first thing that I would personally automate is the cross slide, before the downfeed. But, if you did the downfeed and wanted to keep it simple, I would use ratchet wheel and a solenoid on the down slide. Mount a micro switch on the back of the machine so that very time the ram is at the back most position it would fire the solenoid and increment the racket down a tooth or more.

Back