[How-To] Atlas 936 carriage stop

fireguyfire

Registered
Registered
One of the first projects I’m going to want to do is make a carriage stop for my Atlas 936 lathe.
I’m a beginner as far as skill, and do not have a mill.
Can anyone help me out with plans/suggestions for making a stop?

There are several YouTube videos on making carriage stops for Atlas lathes. Here are two by Mr. Pete. There are others - just search on YouTube. But I am not sure how to make one without a mill. Offhand I don't know. Maybe you just buy one on eBay ($$$) and plan to sell it someday when you get a mill and make your own.

No angled cuts are required for an Atlas. You can rough out the steps with a hacksaw and file, and do finishing passes with an endmill in the chuck and the work shimmed up on an angle plate.

I'm not certain as to whether or not the final version of the Atlas carriage stop for the 10" and 3/8" bed 12" ever had any modifications or not but it will fit the Atlas 9". If you are looking for one on eBay, the description may or may not mention the 9". But if it will fit the 10", it will fit the 9". The one for the late 12" can be made to fit by adding a 1/8" spacer but I would only do that if I happened to already have one for a 1/2" bed. I wouldn't buy one and modify it unless I planned to buy one of those machines eventually.

I got a NOS carriage stop circa late 1970s on my Atlas. It uses two set screws to dial the fit on the ways, so it would fit 9, 10, and 12 versions no problem. Mr. Pete's design is quite faithful to the original. A mill would be nice, but @ericc is correct, it can certainly be made with a file and hacksaw (and your lathe). The index marks would be made with the bull gear indexer on the atlas, pretty straightforward.

So for clarification, obviously it would be easy to make both cuts in on either side of where the knurled nut goes; how would you guys make the cross cut at the bottom to remove the bulk of the material before switching to files?

I made this carriage stop for my Atlas a long time ago. It's not as fancy as the micrometer version but easy to make and very functional, use it all the time

Attachments

• 66B5F819-D589-4BDD-B2AB-EBC1ACC25EF6.jpeg
    66B5F819-D589-4BDD-B2AB-EBC1ACC25EF6.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 121FEE46-BAD5-4E66-9786-EF42D82738C7.jpeg
    121FEE46-BAD5-4E66-9786-EF42D82738C7.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 12
Back