Atlas Clausing 10100 chuck

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
what is the largest chuck size i can use on a clausing atlas 10100?
also is the head stock a MT1 taper?

thank you in advance

Daniel

youtube.com/minskmade

Physically, you could run a 5" or even if you could find one, a 5.5". But for practical and safety reasons, the largest recommended is usually a 4".

The spindle taper in all of the Atlas built 6" metal working lathes is 2MT. And the tailstock ram taper is 1MT

The faceplate for the Atlas 618 was 5.25" diameter and I suppose it was the same for the 10100. Hard to mount something right out to the edges unless you can bolt it on from the back.

A previous owner of my 618 ground away sloped sections of the bed just in front of the chuck. It's possible that he needed *just* a little more room to turn something. Or maybe he just dropped the chuck on the bed too many times and was cleaning up. I wouldn't recommend that mod, though.

Craig

Physically, you could run a 5" or even if you could find one, a 5.5". But for practical and safety reasons, the largest recommended is usually a 4".

The spindle taper in all of the Atlas built 6" metal working lathes is 2MT. And the tailstock ram taper is 1MT

thank you so much for the quick reply...yeah i was confused by the 1 mt on the tail stock...

Although there are exceptions, probably more than half of the 12: and under lathes have the tailstock taper one size smaller than the spindle. I don't really know why that is, it just is.

Back