Atlas-Clausing 4805 followed me home

Canadianprime

Registered
Registered
I got home, unloaded and put in the garage. That thing has some weight to it. Also, I am glad I spent some time cleaning it up as I have found a few things that will need attention, but nothing major. If anyone knows of something that I should check please let me know.20180526_215149.jpg

Welcome to H-M and congrats on scoring the lathe.

Welcome, that looks like a good one with a looong bed what is it 5-6 ft

I have the cousin of this lathe 12x24 ( Fortis/clausing 4800 made in the UK) I'd give the head stock bearings a good clean,I took my spindle out ,Strip the QC gearbox clean and replace the 2 bearings ,take plenty of photo doing this . Also do this for the saddle which probably will be full of chips.;)

These photos of mine will give you an idea of what your up against .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99483750@N08/albums/72157684186742413

Sean

Last edited:
I have the cousin of this lathe ( Fortis/clausing 4800 made in the UK) I'd give the head stock bearings a good clean,I took my spindle out ,Strip the QC gearbox clean and replace the 2 bearings ,take plenty of photo doing this . Also do this for the saddle which probably will be full of chips.;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/994
I have the cousin of this lathe 12x24 ( Fortis/clausing 4800 made in the UK) I'd give the head stock bearings a good clean,I took my spindle out ,Strip the QC gearbox clean and replace the 2 bearings ,take plenty of photo doing this . Also do this for the saddle which probably will be full of chips.;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99483750@N08/albums/72157684186742413

Sean

83750@N08/albums/72157684186742413

Sean

That will happen all in good time. I am going to run it for a while and see if anything comes up. I did have it stripped down to the point where I could unload it off the trailer myself. Before reassembly I gave it a good degreasing. I think one of the previous owners had an obsession with a pipe wrench. There are teeth marks on the geartrain end of the spindle as well as the non threaded part of the lead screw.

I did the same ,running it as soon as I cleaned it up ,that's when the bearings in the gearbox made a horrendous squealing noise . The pipe wrench marks sound like the chuck has been or is stuck fast .

Sean

Nice lathe for a first one to own. If the chuck is stuck soak it with good penetrating oil every few days for a week or so , play some heat from a propane torch around the back of the chuck. Get it warm not super hot , it helps the oil seep in where it expands the chuck back plate. If it's not stuck clean the threads and light oil will help from it ever seize up. Good luck have fun , but be safe.

Chuck came off nice and easy. It had a liberal coating of anti seize on it. Took the chuck apart and cleaning out all the chips.

Back