Atlas Clausing Spindle thread protector

Price, well, that's a good question. I can't say I shop well, but when I find something I need, I buy it. Retailers that supply us hobbyists, are careful to charge enough.

I made mine from 6061 aluminum. Machines nicely and gives all the protection you need.

David

Visit a local welding or machine shop and ask for drops. 12L14 may be hard to find in a large diameter, but they may have something almost as good. And they may offer it for cheap or even for free.

I recently made a thread protector for my lathe from 12L14. It is not difficult. Internal threading is about the same as external. Visibility is not as good and you do need an internal threading tool. Grinding your own is too challenging for most of us. MrPete222 on YouTube has a nice tutorial on making a thread protector for an Atlas.

By the way, Cabin Fever Expo in Lebanon PA is coming up on January 19. That would be maybe a 3 1/2 hour drive from Pittsburgh, but it is worth seeing and they have plenty of used tooling and metal for sale.

Last edited:
i watch pete222 videos all day. i started making one out of 6061 i had here...all done except the tapping. :p

The OD of the one that I have is 1.50". The length measures 0.927". For the threads and register area, download the drawing for the mill's Arbor Driver M1-567 or Shell Mill Driver M1-570. The tolerance on the register area can be relaxed.

The OD of the one that I have is 1.50". The length measures 0.927". For the threads and register area, download the drawing for the mill's Arbor Driver M1-567 or Shell Mill Driver M1-570. The tolerance on the register area can be relaxed.

thank you sir. you are the zen master of vintage lathes.

left hand or right hand thread?
...going to buy the threading tool

Back