Atlas/Craftsman 101.07300 lathe

handymancanfixit

Registered
Registered
I am contemplating what to do with this Atlas/Craftsman 101.07300 lathe. I bought it in a disassembled state and it seems like all the parts are there, even several extra parts.

Should I refurb and rebuild, part it out, do a full restore? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6960.JPG
IMG_6955.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6957.JPG
IMG_6958.JPG
IMG_6959.JPG

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am a nostalgic sucker for bringing things back to life... so my vote is to restore it, if you have the passion for it...

Last edited:

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Your call, you would probably get the most money by selling parts but it takes time and effort.
I think you could easily sell the whole thing to someone local either assembled or as a basket case

I see only one spindle there- but two headstocks. Looks like headstock bearings are MIA
I personally would restore the upper roller bearing headstock if I was going to put it back together
The roller headstock spindle has a 1" x 10 tpi thread vs 1" x 8 tpi for the sleeve bearing unit in the foreground
The former is more desirable
-M

Last edited:

francist

Active User
Parts there are, although it looks like a couple of different vintages. I wonder if the PO was trying to convert an early machine to newer Timken bearing headstock? I think there might be a couple bits missing from the countershaft assembly — I’m not seeing all of it except for the old-style base portion.

Otherwise I think it’d be a good candidate for reassembly. All the handwheels look complete (a favourite for being broken) and a good set of change gears. As for restoring it, you do have to be into that sort of thing to enjoy it otherwise it’s just a chore so you’ll have to make that decision for yourself. Is it something you like to do or not? I do, and so do a lot of others but it’s not for all.

A lot of people have these lathes and like them, and a lot of people seem to hate them as well.

-frank

handymancanfixit

Registered
Registered
Parts there are, although it looks like a couple of different vintages. I wonder if the PO was trying to convert an early machine to newer Timken bearing headstock? I think there might be a couple bits missing from the countershaft assembly — I’m not seeing all of it except for the old-style base portion.

Otherwise I think it’d be a good candidate for reassembly. All the handwheels look complete (a favourite for being broken) and a good set of change gears. As for restoring it, you do have to be into that sort of thing to enjoy it otherwise it’s just a chore so you’ll have to make that decision for yourself. Is it something you like to do or not? I do, and so do a lot of others but it’s not for all.

A lot of people have these lathes and like them, and a lot of people seem to hate them as well.

-frank
Thanks Frank.

Does a parts list exist anywhere?

francist

Active User
There are more around for later Atlas 618 and the Craftsman 101.214xx which are the Timken versions (the newer of the two headstocks you have) but I do see this one for 101.073xx in the Downloads section of HM. You need to be a slightly higher level of member to get at them though, I think a small donation to get you to “Silver” status will allow you to access the many files and catalogues therein, including this manual. I can’t remember if VintageMachinery has one on their website or not, but that’s another place to look.

-frank

1650487918509.png

cross thread

Registered
Registered
Interesting pile of parts handyman . If it were me I would sell the 618 101.214xx head stock and restore the 101.07300 . Atlas made the 101.07300 for only one year , so if you are missing any parts they will be difficult to find . Such as the cross slide lead screw's nut , that lead screw is 3/8-20 double start left hand . Looking at your pictures I'm hoping I see everything there for the 101.07300 . Here is a reference .
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/ scroll down about 3/4 of the page the blue machine is your model
1650507304540.png

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
The specifications for the spindle nose look more like the ones for the 109 series AA machine not the machine pictured
-odd

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code