Atlas/Craftsman 12x36" lathe...questions

Jason280

Registered
Registered
I lucked into a deal on a Craftsman 101-07403 12x36" lathe, and hope to start restoring it back to 100% condition soon.

First question, what is the model number of the comparable Atlas lathe? Hopefully, having both model numbers will make looking for parts a little easier.

Its in decent shape, just a little surface rust on a few parts. Good thing is, it has the quick change gearbox, and both 3 & 4 jaw chucks. Bad? No motor, which is an easy fix, and the tailstock is rusted/locked. I have it soaking now, but worst case is I have to pick up a replacement online. Do the 9, 10, & 12" models all share the same tailstock?

Gear wise, everything looks to be in very good shape. The QC gearbox slides, and the half nut engages and moves the apron. I need to replace a couple of the levers and wheels on the apron, but I have found those without too much trouble on eBay. One of the gears that slides in the top slot of the quadrant assembly has the wrong bolt, so I can't get it tight enough. So far, that's the only real gear issue I've found.

It does have a few issues here and there...one of the covers is gone over the large pulley, and the bracket for the main gears is broken. I should be able to fab up replacements, at least once I get it under power and make sure everything is 100%.

So, here are my questions. Would it be worthwhile to go ahead and pull the gears to clean them, or just clean them in place? If I do go to that trouble of pulling the gears, should I go ahead and replace the bearings? What would be the most efficient way/method of proceeding? Thanks!

20190413_064421_jpg-912011.JPG

20190413_064535_jpg-912012.JPG

20190413_064539_jpg-912013.JPG

20190413_064543_jpg-912014.JPG

20190413_064546_jpg-912016.JPG

Gonna be a nice lathe..the tooling you got with lathe will come in handy..looks like you have a 3 into 2 morse taper sleeve in spindle.good luck..

To answer your first question, no, The 9", 10" and 12" do not use the same tailstock. Most of the 10's and most of the 3/8" bed 12's do use the same 10D-6 tailstock base but for your particular 12", you will need the L4-5 Tailstock. Note that the later tailstock fitted to the 1/2" bed machines will not fit your machine.

As to whether or not it would be advisable to disassemble the entire machine for cleaning and inspection, I would say yes. As to whether or not you should replace part or all of the bearings and bushings, I can't say. You will have to evaluate those parts yourself.

FYI, Clausing Industrial, which was once Atlas-Clausing, still carries some parts for the Atlas lathes. But if your only exposure to prices is from the old Atlas or Craftsman catalogs, you may be in for some sticker shock.

Back