Atlas/Craftsman 12x36" lathe...questions

What is the correct HP rating for this lathe, and any suggestions on a quick-style tool post?

These came with 1/4 and 1/2 HP motors. For quick change tool posts, an Asian import AXA setup works great on these lathes.

Any suggestions on how to measure/check the ways? I have a few Starrett precision levels, mics, etc...

The ultimate proof is to cut a test bar, but a straight edge and an eyeball will tell you everything you need to know. My Atlas has enough wear to account for, and my bed is in exemplary condition. I can't see it, but I can feel it when I adjust the gibs. It's there. The pictures of your bed grabbed my attention, even though it's hard to tell from pics. I don't want to be the first guy to cry wolf, but I would be concerned with the wear on that bed before investing a ton of work into the lathe. Like I said, you can get beds for Atlas lathes for near scrap prices these days as old lathes come out of basements at estate sales and go on eBay and CL, so it's not the end of the world. Check it now so you can make a plan going ahead.

Loaded question of the day...let's say I can get this lathe back to near 100%, how would it compare with a South Bend Heavy 10 from the 40's??

It wouldn’t. Because they aren’t meant for the same work. 5FCBB5B2-57C2-41E8-BD02-61BD5512E25F.jpegKeep in mind your particular version is not a 10f, but it shares enough parts and pieces to be considered the same machine by most.

But...I believe you already know how most people feel. I’m gonna get a Southbend machine someday just so I have a personal opinion. A Heavy 10 would be harder to get in a basement. Parts are probably more expensive. It’s got those pesky v ways. It weighs twice as much. It’s made of cast iron and steel...all of it. Everybody wants one. I don’t see the draw. :confused:

Only reason I ask, a nice Heavy 10 just popped up....price seems a little high at $3k, but I really have no idea how to price one.

Well the good thing is there will always be another one, especially at that price. I’m sure they’re good machines, but this lathe you’ve already got can also provide you with just as much fun. I really like Atlas Craftsman machines though, so it’s not an unbiased view you are getting from me. I’d have one just like yours if I ever found one at the right price...at the right time...at the right location.

Atlas recommended a 1/2 HP motor for their 10" and for the 12" up through 101.27440. These are all 3/8" bed machines. And 3/4 HP for the 1/2" bed machines. If you later should happen to install a variable speed DC or 3-Phase motor, bump that up one step to maintain power and cooling at less than rated motor RPM.

How difficult is it to simply convert over to a variable speed DC motor? I have an extra AC motor I can use right now, bit might consider the DC of it isn't too complicated.

I monkeyed around with the tailstock a bit this morning, and removed the bolts, rear handle (what's left of it), and lower clamp. The center is pretty well stuck in, but I haven't gotten too aggressive with removing it. Isn't it simply tapered fit? Should I just try drifting it out with a brass wedge and some firm whacks with a 3lb hammer? My concern is bending the actual tail portion, it looks to be fully extended.

Back