Atlas/Craftsman Lathe made approx.1936/37, 12"swing, 54" bed

Race 66

Registered
Registered
First post here! As stated above I have this lathe that I inherited from my father in law. Overall it appears in good shape. i.e.- ways, cross-feed, headstock, etc. But, as always I need to make sure all the basic adjustments are in tolerance. It's being dormant for 15 years and will need a through cleaning/lubing. I do have on order a owners manual to help with this. I am not an experienced machine operator. I have had previous training in high school and college on various machines. This is pre-CNC days(none in college at the time 1971) and of course digital nowadays. I guess the 'old skool' application. Anyway, I am here to learn and just maybe help others in the future. I do have accessories that came with it, gears, steady rest, tool holders, etc. I'll sort those out later. This lathe has been in the family since it was purchased new. I just need to touch base with those of this type/model of lathe so I may get on the same boat! :)
Thanks for any assistance in this.

Mike

Hi Mike , welcome to the Atlas/Craftsman page . Have you some pictures of the machine ?

Yup! I can do that. Most likely, in the day or so. Thanks for replying.
Mike

Mike,

If you don't mind, when you post the photos, also post the serial number (on top of the front way near the right end) and model number (on the nameplate probably on the rear of the bed).

Having problems attaching photo files of Craftsman/Atlas 1936 / 37. Working on it.
Mike

Last edited:
Finally figured out transfer the file photo's. As you see the serial no is L4-496. There is no model number label on rear of unit, it doesn't appear like there was never one. No other identifiers are found. It was originally purchased by my wife's Uncle in the 30's, then it went to my father in law and he made pens with it, as you can tell all the wood dust on the gears and now I have it.
Hopefully the photo's will help to clarify the year, model, etc of the lathe.
Mike

20181127_100713.jpg

20181127_100733 (2).jpg

20181127_100936 (1).jpg

20181127_101015.jpg

20181127_101030 (1).jpg

20181127_101249 (1).jpg

20181127_101344.jpg

OK. The model number is 101.07380. Going by catalog photos, it was made in 1936, The only part that I see that's for sure missing is the motor switch box, which was a I think standard steel switch box with a house lighting type switch in it. It was attached somehow to the front of the fixed part of the change gear guard just to the right of the tumbler handle. The tumbler is the steel or cast iron part carrying three of the four gears visible in your photo of the left end of the lathe. It is for engaging or disengaging the gear drive to the lead screw (that runs nearly the full length of the bed just under the front way). There should I think be a hinged at the rear flat cover that when closed hides all of the change gears. How about adding a photo of the entire left end of the lathe? With that, I can tell you how many loose change gears there should be with the lathe.

What is the total length of the front way? Choices are 36", 42", 48" or 54".

It has a 54" bed. The motor switch is there, it's just not mounted, look at photo. I am familiar of the switch type you were speaking of. There are no residual holes in casting of where that switch would typically go. The location of the enclosed switch photo was originally mounted under the way, just below the chuck. Of course the old fabric wiring style will be renewed as I clean up the lathe along with other maintenance items. I do have the sheet metal gear guard for the large gear assy. on the end, just took it off for photo's. As for extra gears, it's been a while since I've looked at them, but, I do recall I have maybe 12 or so of different diameters as well as other odds and ends. In one of the photos I had sent earlier, you can see the switch box lying on the ways between the chuck and cross slide. I hope these photos help you clarify your descriptions. Thank you also for your efforts on this.
Mike

20181128_124915.jpg

20181128_131039.jpg

20181128_124807.jpg

Below is a photo of what is presumed to be the 101.07380 with 36" bed (so 12x18). I say "presumed" as the Craftsman 1936 Power Tools catalog was the earliest one in which a 12" lathe appeared, and it has back gears so must be the 101.07380. But it wasn't until after WW-II that the Sears catalog numbers began to match the Sears model numbers. Note the motor switch box attached to the change gear guard. The one that you have is probably an after market change, although it could have come from Atlas. 1936 was the only year where the 12" had the switch box and fabricated gear guard. The following year (about a year behind the same changes on the 10"), the headstock casting was changed and the motor switch changed to a standard bat handle toggle switch mounted from inside the headstock. And the gear guard changed to a casting with the change gear settings plate riveted to the inside of it.

We do not have a parts list for the 101.7380. But do have one for the 101.07381. Which is in Downloads. The 07381 differs from the 07380 in several ways but should use the same change gears, a total of 19. Two 24T and one 32T are mounted on the change gear Reverse Tumbler. One 20T and two 96T are mounted on the change gear bracket or Banjo. That leaves 13 loose. The photo shows 13 change gears, which agrees.

Craftsman101.07380 1936.jpg

Back