Atlas/Craftsman Lathe made approx.1936/37, 12"swing, 54" bed

Sounds great ! . Looking at the purchase price of the original verses today it appears that it would cost in today's dollars around $1,156.93, fun to figure that out. I am still waiting for a manual, should show this week and then I will get serious about getting it back into operation. I do think I will take up the offer to step up my membership here in order to take advantage of the resources available. I was researching old posts and viewed some of yours regarding this series of lathe models. Quite informative it is, which help me decided to take upon the offer stepping up my membership.
I appreciate your diligence in helping out and sharing, thank you very much and I'll try and show the progression of me getting the lathe back on board, of course the holidays are rapidly approaching and it will slow down my efforts somewhat.

Mike

I stand corrected ! The switch that was originally installed on the sheet metal gear guard on some models, further looking on the sheet metal, shows an outline of a mount where a 'wall switch' style would have been located along with two holes in the casting under the gear head, where a toggle style switch would have been located. So it appears the lathe had both styles of switch options.

Here is the equivalent page out of the 1937 catalog. Note the location of the motor switch, and the two screws above and below the switch that attach the escutcheon. Note also that you cannot see the right spindle bearing cap bolt head. I don't know whether the photo was retouched to hide the bolt head or for some reason they used a 101.07401 headstock without it's belt cover for the photo. The rest of the photo is consistent with the description below.

Craftsman 101.07381 1937.jpg

This "driver-line" switch was made by Walker Turner as one of their bands, could be from the thirties. Cool switch but not from Atlas as was speculated above.

1545853798676.png

tc

I stand corrected ! The switch that was originally installed on the sheet metal gear guard on some models, further looking on the sheet metal, shows an outline of a mount where a 'wall switch' style would have been located along with two holes in the casting under the gear head, where a toggle style switch would have been located. So it appears the lathe had both styles of switch options.
I forgot to comment on this. It is quite possible the day that the machine that Race 66 described was made, the first headstock castings with the motor switch had made their way to the assembly line but they still had some fabricated gear guards to use up. I expect that similar things happened when the later tailstock showed up. That sort of operation would explain photos of lathes that show up with various in-between stages visible.

craniac, that is a nice looking switch assembly.

Yup craniac I agreed. As listed on downloads here: Craftsman Power Tools Catalog 1936.pdf 2016-10-25 author: wa5cab
It shows the switch with the princely sum of $2.95 -1936 dollars which is the equivalent to $53.30 in 2018 dollars. This is listed on page 36 under accessories, motors etc. When I get to the point of rewiring the motor to switch assembly, I will certainly pull the switch apart and if there is any user friendly service to the switch workings. If appears to be safe, I will use it again, any doubt a new switch will be installed.

First post here! As stated above I have this lathe that I inherited from my father in law. Overall it appears in good shape. i.e.- ways, cross-feed, headstock, etc. But, as always I need to make sure all the basic adjustments are in tolerance. It's being dormant for 15 years and will need a through cleaning/lubing. I do have on order a owners manual to help with this. I am not an experienced machine operator. I have had previous training in high school and college on various machines. This is pre-CNC days(none in college at the time 1971) and of course digital nowadays. I guess the 'old skool' application. Anyway, I am here to learn and just maybe help others in the future. I do have accessories that came with it, gears, steady rest, tool holders, etc. I'll sort those out later. This lathe has been in the family since it was purchased new. I just need to touch base with those of this type/model of lathe so I may get on the same boat! :)
Thanks for any assistance in this.

Mike
Where did you get your manual?

@oldbirddpg, most if not all of the Atlas built machines that were built after about 1940 and a few from earlier are available here in Downloads. A few were scanned by me. Most were found on other sites and underwent extensive cleaning before being uploaded here.

Note that access to Downloads does require Donor status (any level).

@oldbirddpg, most if not all of the Atlas built machines that were built after about 1940 and a few from earlier are available here in Downloads. A few were scanned by me. Most were found on other sites and underwent extensive cleaning before being uploaded here.

Note that access to Downloads does require Donor status (any level).

Back