Atlas & Craftsman Serial Number and Model Number Locations

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have added a field to the Atlas Machines database for the location of the model and serial numbers. The database is in Downloads, although the copy currently there does not have the field (because only two records have anything entered in the new field. There is also a copy of the database in the sticky area of this Forum although that copy may not currently be up to date.

In any case, will everyone with one or more Atlas built machines listed in the database please report serial number (so that I can find it and including any prefix and /or suffix letters and/or numbers) and location of it and if separate, the data plate. Preferred method of reporting would be a PM sent to wa5cab with one or two photos. But text-only is also OK. AFAIK, the two possibilities for the lathes are:

(1) Aluminum or plastic data plate with Atlas or Craftsman and possibly other info printed on it and with model number stamped on it attached with two round-head drive screws near the center of the rear of the bed. Serial number and any prefix/suffix letters and/or numbers stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. If possible, note whether of not the drive screw holes are drilled through.

(2) Aluminum or plastic data plate with Atlas or Craftsman and possibly other info printed on it and with model number and serial number stamped on it, mounted by two round head drive screws on the right end of the bed. If possible, note whether of not the drive screw holes are drilled through.

For other machines, I am not sure what the possibilities are.

My Atlas QC-54 does not have a data plate, nor are there holes where one would have been. It does have a logo plate on the headstock, but no other identifying marks stamped in it or otherwise. Could the bed have been replaced at some point?

Thanks,
Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Brett,

The QC models came out first in 1947 and would have had the name plate mounted on the right hand end of the bed. And nothing on the rear of the bed. That change happened around 1942. And there shouldn't be any 18" or 30" beds as those were discontinued around 1945. I can't say for certain but even had the bed been replaced at some point the four drive-screw holes should have already been drilled. If you are trying to date the machine, your best bet is to pull the spindle and look for dates on the spindle bearings. If the machine was made before about 1953 there will be a date engraved in each cup and each cone. If it was made later than that, you are just SOL. Except that it would be fairly late (1957 or earlier).

wa5cab,

Thanks for your kind and very informative reply. I just finished the restoration this past Wednesday, and when I disassembled the headstock, the spindle bearings were dated January of 1940. Also, after cleaning up the bed, the front way had the serial number stamped on it (see attached picture), and the lathe was originally a model TV54, which must have been upgraded at some point with the quick-change gear box. I was perplexed since most pictures of Atlas lathes showed the name plate at the RH side of the bed, yet this one had neither a name plate nor any evidence of holes for rivets that might have held one. Once I stripped the grime and paint off of the bed, the serial number was visible on the RH way.

Thanks again for your help,

Best,
Brett

Brett, until sometime in 1942 the nameplate was located near the center of the rear of the bed. Which will explain why you found no empty holes in the right end of the bed. This was true of both the Atlas and the Craftsman lathes.

Attachments

• IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    575.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
OK. That all makes sense now. The machine was probably completed in or shortly after June, 1940. Sometime after mid-1947 the QCGB was acquired and retro-fitted. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning there being a serial number most likely on the main gearbox casting but I'll stick my neck out and say that there probably is. In any case. most of the lathe probably dates from late 1940. However, prior to your report
I would have expected either a nameplate or at least the four drive screw holes on the rear of the bed along with the info stamped on the right end of the front way. I will add that no one at Clausing up until early 2010 seems to know what the "S" stamped at the end of the serial number means. Except that it can't mean "SEARS".

Last edited:
Both headstock bearings and both races had a hand-engraved date on them, and all four dates fall between January and March of 1940, so 1940 was likely the year of production. I spent over 15 hours on the lathe bed getting the paint removed and down to bare metal, and then inspected it quite closely looking for evidence of rivet holes on the tailstock end of it, but none were present there, or elsewhere. I'd have to conclude that if it ever had a plate on it, it must have been held on with an adhesive, but I didn't see any evidence of that either.

I had the QC gearbox out, completely disassembled, degreased, removed all paint, and thoroughly cleaned. I test assembled it once, and then disassembled it and lubricated it before the final installation. I did not see any numbers or other markings anywhere on the casting, and besides the rivet holes for the QC speed plaque, no other small holes that might indicate an ID plate was attached. I'm quite certain of that, since during the restoration, I took a picture of everything that was looked like an identification mark anywhere on the lathe. I wiped everything down with lacquer thinner, and hand painted it, so with all the up-close work inside and outside of the case, I am pretty sure I would have noticed it.

It is quite interesting to hear that no one seems to know what the S in the serial number is for. Have you seen other letters, or just an "S"? The headstock carries an Atlas nameplate, so I am pretty sure it wasn't produced for Sears.

Thanks once again for the interesting information, I really appreciate it.

Best,
Brett

Well, my gut feeling was obviously wrong. Maybe the "S" stands for " Standard". Or "Stock". I don't think that I recall any reported later serial number that didn't have the "S". Anyway, there were other letters used but I think that they were all on the early style serial numbers used on the 9" and up through the 10-D.

I have added a field to the Atlas Machines database for the location of the model and serial numbers. The database is in Downloads,...snip...
There are a lot of files in the download section and so far, I've not found a search function. Any chance you could post the name of the file or a link to it? Or if there is a search function that works on just that subforum.

Thanks,

Rick

RickKr, later this afternoon I will try to determine the exact name of the S/N file and how to find it.

The following applies directly to the hand-engraved bearing inspection dates, and only secondarily to the manufacturing date of the Atlas and Craftsman lathes that the bearings were installed in. We know because owners have reported them that the earliest and latest dates so far reported are 1938 and 1952. Given the relatively small number of dates reported versus dates reported I have added a year to each end and assume a range of 1937 thru 1953. I am sure that there was some resistance to stopping the engraving but cost was undoubtedly the reason for ceasing the practice.

We don't know for certain how closely Atlas adhered to practicing FIFO with the bearings but it is probable that they must have approached it as the cost of the bearings wasn't trivial so they won't have kept too many on hand. Anyway, the bearing dates while they were doing it can be assumed to be good for +2/-0 of the actual manufacture date. And given that the manufacturing records have disappeared over the years, no one can prove you wrong if you equate the two dates.

Back