Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

I have just started a refurbishment of a Craftsman 101-07300 (Atlas 6" 3/4 x 16 spindle sleeve bearings). Serial number 177

IMG_2062.JPGIMG_2063.JPG

Cheers,

Adrian

I have the same model. Is there no serial number on the right hand end of the front top of the bed way? (right,front,top of bed)

Yes, my serial number (177) (turns out not to be serial number) is stamped on the right front of the bed casting, just below the ways (see first photo).

Cheers,

Adrian

Awround,

Well, that is a new location for the serial number. And approximately where longitudinally? Also please state where on the bed the nameplate is found.

On the bed, headstock, tailstock and carriage, also see whether you can find any letters and/or numbers cast into the castings.

In general, the only thing that I know of that we have in print on the 101.07300 is the entry in the 1938 Craftsman tool catalog.

There is no writing at all on the top of the way, right end?? hmm.... Where exactly is the number stamped on the bed? I'll take a look at mine.

"right front just below the ways" OK

Just looked. Mine has 177 stamped there also just past the right end of the rack.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I did find the serial number on the front way, right end. Serial number is L334.

See photos in answer to other questions.

Cheers,

Adrian
Serial number on front right way.jpgBed Casting Numbers.jpgBack of Bed Casting with Model Number Plate.jpgLocation of 177 number on front of Bed Casting.jpg

That's still a low serial number, probably the lowest I've seen for this lathe. I'll be interested in seeing your pictures as it progresses.

I am restoring the lathe for a friend. The lathe belonged to her grandfather who passed it on to her father. Her father passed away 10 years ago and the lathe has been sitting(rusting) in her mother's basement until now. The timing is right for a 1937 purchase by the grandfather. She hopes to sell the lathe once it is restored.

I machined a replacement compound nut yesterday which was the standard 1/4x20 RH. I also need to replace the cross slide nut and found that it is a 3/8 x 20 LH 60 degree V thread. The cross side screw is double start thread which would give 0.100 per rev. This agrees with the markings on the cross slide collar. Now pondering whether to try my hand at making the tap or buying one from Little Machine Shops (shipping to Canada is the same as the cost of the tap!).

Cheers,

Adrian

OK. I am getting confused. It appears that Awround and robert574 each have a 9" and that both machines have 177 stamped on the front of the bed just below the front way and just to the right of the right end of the rack. Is that correct?

Further, that Awround has found L334 stamped into the top of the front way and based upon several succeeding years history 334 is the machine's serial number, not 177. robert574, is there a serial number stamped on the top of the front way on your machine?

And is all that I have written in this post correct for each machines?

When each of you reply to the stated or implied questions in this post, also please state (possibly again) what your nominal bed length is.

I can confirm that I have a Craftsman 6" lathe built by Atlas. Model number is 101.07300. Length of the bed casting is 30". There is 177 stamped into the bed casting just below the front way and just to the right of the right end of the rack. There is a serial number L334 stamped on the top of the front way at the far right end.

Back