Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

I have a 12x36 (not the commercial one) atlas or craftsman, I have not found any stamps, badges or plates with any ser# or model#. I will look it over more closely and let you know. I've owned this lathe since 1980.

@jpack,

If it was made by Atlas and is not one of the 1/2" bed machines and is 12" swing, then it is a Craftsman.. Post some photos of it. Up until about 1940/41, the serial number was stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. After that, they moved the name plate from the rear to the right end of the bed and the serial number was on it. I'll await the photos before making any more guesses.

bench type 20210412_131756.jpg3/8 bed, new motor1hp, new reverse switch, DROs, quick clamp tail stock, and added a QCGB last week. Original switch controls power to everything. looking for a gear and belt cover. went over the areas and did not see any numbers/names. inside of ways has a casting mark "954".

Can you confirm that there is nothing stamped into the bed front way top surface near the right end? And no power cross feed? Is it a 10" or a 12"?

confirmed, nothing stamped anywhere. It is a 12" with power cross feed.

OK. I see the pull-out knob now. So it is a 101.07403. Unfortunately, some PO removed the nameplate presumably from the right end of the bed.

Well, from the rectangular instead of oval motor switch bezel, it is probably 1948 or later. Atlas changed the 10" headstock casting circa 1942. But the Craftsman catalog and other photos continue to show the over switch plate up through w947. So we don't really know what year the change was made to the 12" headstock casting. Unless someone with an earlier bearing date should pipe up. In the meantime, it was built between 1948 and mid-1957.

Beyond that, the only other way to date your machine is to pull the spindle and report the four dates on the two bearing cups and cones. And use the latest of the four dates. If there are no dates, then it was built after mid-1952 up through mid-1957.

WRT the 1HP motor, that is considerable overkill. Factory recommendation was 1/2 HP. The larger motor won't increase the capabilities any and on the down side, if you ever do have a crash, the larger motor will likely do more damage.

Lathe is running fine right now and I do not want to tear it down just to get a date. The 1hp motor was just one I had on hand when the original motor started smoking (dirt dabbers build inside anything). I saw no screw or rivet holes on the end where a name plate or serial number would have been secured. Thanks for the information.

OK. From the apparent possible maximum age of the machine, and if the serial number was not stamped into the top of the front way near the right end, there should be two drilled holes in the right end of the bed for the two drive-screws securing the nameplate. The earlier position was near the center of the rear of the bed.

I am restoring my wife’s grandfather’s Atlas 10F TH42 lathe. Serial number 065418. It has the Timken bearings, and the bearing dates are 11/20/1945 and 11/30/1945. Not sure when he originally purchased the lathe, but he passed in 1986 and the lathe has pretty much set idle since then. With its home in Arizona rust is not an issue. Overall, it’s in good shape. I’m new to machining but always had an interest. Figured there’s no time like the present to kindle the fire.

OK. Machine is added to the database. Yes, a dry climate does contribute to a machine's longevity. Welcome aboard.

Please confirm that nameplate with model and serial numbers is on right end of bed and not with serial number stamped into right end of front way and plate with model number on rear of bed. Also whether holes for drive screws affixing plate are or are not drilled through.

Back