Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

35633 dated 12/20/1952 was the endpoint in my final estimate of 9/29/1952. It took me a minute to realize that on my spreadsheet.

Best that I can guess is 1945. There are usually no better ways to date the babbit bearing 10" or 12" or any of the 6" including the 612 and 618 as Atlas or Timken never put dates on any of the 618 spindle bearings and even if they had, it wouldn't have helped the sleeve bearing 101.07301's. As I have written before, Atlas or Clausing had already lost or destroyed all of their production records years before anyone started to collect history on the various models. So the best that we can do is to assume a constant or fixed production rate based on known serial numbers and the fairly well established dates over which the various machines were made. Common sense would tell us that they probably made more during WW-II than they did before or after the War. And the sales had probably dropped off near the end or they probably wouldn't have stopped making them. A few original invoices would have helped but I don't recall anyone ever reporting having one on a 101.07301.

I just inherited a late 1936 early 1937 (I think) Craftsman (Atlas) lathe. Serial number L6 805
Seems to be in good overall condition just needing TLC.
Here's a photo of the serial number and a photo of the machine. just got it on a table to inspect. What's the consensus best place to find parts?

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4276.jpg
    IMG_4276.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
OK. Assuming that the carriage and the tailstock are out of frame to the right, the model number is either 101.07380 or 101.07360. The machine has all of the hallmarks of those two models but with the gear guards in place and at the angle the photo was taken, it is not possible to tell whether or not the machine has back gears. The other thing that cannot be determined is the bed length. The four choices are 36", 42", 48" or 54". Which corresponds to a distance between centers of 18, 24, 30 or 36 inches. Give the bed length and add a photo showing the entire front of the lathe, one taken from the right end looking towards the headstock, from the left end looking towards the tailstock, and from the rear.

The bed length is 42" (24 between centers). I just got it up on a table to inspect and work on while I seek a better stand, so getting behind and tail stock photos is not easily done. There is no label or numbers on the back. Here are some other pics:IMG_4263.jpgIMG_4301.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4267.jpg
    IMG_4267.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4269.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OK. Late 1951 or early 1952. Should you happen to, for some other reason, need to pull the spindle and bearings, please report dates on both cups and cones. In the meantime, what is the bed length (42" or 54")? And was there anything else stamped on the front way before and/or after the serial number.
OK. Late 1951 or early 1952. Should you happen to, for some other reason, need to pull the spindle and bearings, please report dates on both cups and cones. In the meantime, what is the bed length (42" or 54")? And was there anything else stamped on the front way before and/or after the serial number.

As I stated in last post,, bed is 42 inches. 24" between centers.
The bearings are Babbitt, no cones, rollers, balls. Plain bearings. Every photo and all documentation I have found points at late 1936 early 1937.
No other markings anywhere other than serial number L6 805 as in photo in first post. A few cast in part numbers on some parts such as tail stock which is L3-5.
It looks exactly like this one (catalog photo) except for the riveted on Craftsman badge instead of painted script,

Lathe.gif

OK. Your third photo (IMG_4266.jpg) shows the left end of the back gear shaft and bracket. So your model number is 101.07380 made in early 1936. Pretty much everything visible in any of the photos is consistent with that. Things known to have changed with the 101.07381 and visible in one or more of your photos are legs, tailstock, cross slide, compound and slide, change gear cover, motor switch.

The original nameplate, if it were present, would have been on the rear of the bed near the center.

My reasoning on the manufacturing date being earlier than you would think has to do with the Sears catalog production schedule. The 1936 catalog would have hit the streets before Christmas of 1935.

On a totally different subject, everyone who hasn't already done so please complete your Signature in your account (click on your User ID in the main tool bar). Full name, nickname, handle, etc. Just something to address you by instead of "Hey you".

Last edited:
Edited with title change 20200627

In the combined machine database (742 entries to date) there are 180 10" entries, 21 of which show no serial numbers. There are 113 Craftsman entries, 19 or which show no serial numbers. Plus we only have 30 10" and 22 12" bearing dates for Timken equipped 10" or 12".

Anyway, anyone with any Atlas built machine (not just lathes) who doesn't remember for sure entering your machine into the old Yahoo database or giving it to me recently, please send me the model number; bed length, serial number (including any prefix or suffix letters), type (10F, 10D, etc.), and if it has Timken bearings, the bearing dates if you know them. If no bearing dates are available, then anything that would give the original purchase date (no guesses, please). Also any comments you wish to make about condition, accessories, when and where purchased, price, etc.
If your machine is a MK2 6", there is a somewhat more detailed questionnaire also in this sticky area. If you've responded to that questionnaire, no response is needed here.

Thanks, Robert D.
My father has a Craftman metal lathe, Model # 101.28991 S/N 000737. I'm trying to determine what year it was manufactured. Can you assist on dating it? Thanks, BrianCraftsman Serial.jpgCraftsman Lathe Cleaned 1.jpg

Back