Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

This 12x36 followed me home a couple days ago...

Model# 101.28910
Serial# 107208

Lathes UK suggests it's a post 1967 model because it's got a power crossfeed lever (rather than button) control. Is there a serial number lookup somewhere that can help me get closer on the date?

IMG_1739.jpeg
IMG_1741.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg
IMG_1725.jpeg

Greeting folks,
I am having problems trying to find out how to take the headstock apart to change belts on a recently acquire Atlas 12 inch Pedestal Lathe mod # 3996 and the serial # 105457 with a bed length of about 45 from the face of the chuck to the end of the bed. Wondering if there is a way to check out when the lathe was manufactured by serial member? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Have fun,
buckshot

Grinderman,
Thank you for your help....I shy away from almost everything from the chisese store......But in this case coming from you and your positive experience I think I will try their link best......Your right about it being much easier...
Have fun,
buckshot

I also use them on my drill press and table saw for years with no issues. Some say it will wear your pulleys but I have not seen this at all, although I don’t use the machines every day, just hobby use.

I also use them on my drill press and table saw for years with no issues. Some say it will wear your pulleys but I have not seen this at all, although I don’t use the machines every day, just hobby use.
They're on all my machines too. Love them. Much smoother than standard belts.

OCJohn,

Lathe appears to be missing handle/knob from right hand QCGB selector and it's hard to tell whether end of the selector is damaged or not. Clausing might still have parts in stock. You now have access to Downloads and I presume have downloaded the manual, However, suggest that you also download the Atlas 3996 manual and parts list as it has been edited and cleaned up far more than the one that actually says 101.28910.

Phone number for Clausing Industrial is 800-323-0972 or 800-535-6553. If they no longer have a part in stock or on order, they will usually email you a scan or the original drawing, The drawings were all originally scanned to .TIF which I prefer as I have a .TIF editor and years of experience at using it. But few today know how to do that so they will usually also convert drawings to .PDF. If a drawing is not already in Downloads, I request that you forward it to me for clean-up and eventual upload. Their drawings were all scanned several decades ago and no attempt was made to clean any of them up!

@wa5cab – thanks for the info. Yes it’s broken, but I’d like to take a stab at fixing it before I look for a new one. I’ve started a thread about it to ask for brazing advice. Please check it out. Looking for all the experienced advice I can get.

Hi Robert,
For your database, Atlas TH54 , ser.# 025917. DOM ? Thanks for your effort. Also if I may ask , my machine has the standard gear arrangement, 3/4 lead screw with forward /neutral/reverse switch box. Works great but would like easier feed rate adjustment. Is QCGB worth the expense and effort IYO? Best ,Pat

Back