Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Edited with title change 20200627

In the combined machine database (742 entries to date) there are 180 10" entries, 21 of which show no serial numbers. There are 113 Craftsman entries, 19 or which show no serial numbers. Plus we only have 30 10" and 22 12" bearing dates for Timken equipped 10" or 12".

Anyway, anyone with any Atlas built machine (not just lathes) who doesn't remember for sure entering your machine into the old Yahoo database or giving it to me recently, please send me the model number; bed length, serial number (including any prefix or suffix letters), type (10F, 10D, etc.), and if it has Timken bearings, the bearing dates if you know them. If no bearing dates are available, then anything that would give the original purchase date (no guesses, please). Also any comments you wish to make about condition, accessories, when and where purchased, price, etc.
If your machine is a MK2 6", there is a somewhat more detailed questionnaire also in this sticky area. If you've responded to that questionnaire, no response is needed here.

Thanks, Robert D.

Last edited:
Re: Atlas 10" Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates

I'm afraid I don't know of the yahoo database but I have a 10F here in England. I'm afraid I have no ideas on original purchase date but the serial number is only 56 after the shipping note shown on lathes.co.uk (024444 shipped 4/23/41)
2014-08-21181333_zpsf963dab6.jpg

Bellers,

Thanks. I'm about to conclude that the one that is so far out of sequence has a misplaced 0 or a missing 1.

Robert D.

I recently restored my 10F and replaced the timken bearings. My bearings were etched with
'5-4-42' for the date. The TH36 tag indicated a serial # of 032618.

You will notice the brass tag with some Navy serial number. I figured I would spruce that up as well.
I always wished that I could find some further information regarding the meaning of this number. If
anyone can shed some light on its significance, it would be appreciated.

Jim
WB5KYE

DSC00239.JPG

DSC00239.JPG

Jim,

Thanks. That falls in line with some other dates that I have and is further evidence that in one, either the serial number or the date is incorrect.

The brass plate looks like a Navy Plant Account tag. Up through at least the 1960's, shore stations at least had what they called a "Plant Account". It was an inventory of all equipment, including furniture that had been assigned to the station. Each item was assigned a number, whether it also had a serial number or not. But I don't recall suffix letters so can't say what "KM" means. The only thing that comes to mind is Kings Mountain, but I don't know of any Navy connection. So it must mean something else.

Robert D.

My atlas 10"x36 is a Th54 serial 065874 with pickomatic gear box. I can't find the bearing numbers. I believe it is a 1945, I have the original catalogs, original bulletins and other ancient documents dating back that far. Hope this helps.
Royce

Thanks, Royce. That falls in line with the nearest known date and serial number I have. If any of the ancient documents happen to be the invoice, shipping notice, or similar, that would be helpful.

No bearing dates probably means that a PO replaced them.

Robert D.

I have a range of catalogs with my lathe but the oldest is 1941 so I've concluded it's age is thereabout. No idea on bearing date, no call to disassemble the headstock to date (thankfully!). Roller bearings, 10F w/horizontal countershaft.

QC-54

AFAIK, 003825 could be consistent with 1940 or 1941. But we have no production figures and one thing that has not been established yet is whether or not Atlas started over at 00001 with the 10F. As we have very few bearing dates off of Timken 10F's and none off of 10D's, dating the 10" is difficult. The one thing that is established is that the QC42/54 did definitely start over at 00001 as we have several reported 3-digit serial numbers in the database. I had about decided that they did start over when two or three definitely 10F's turned up with serial numbers with "D" prefixes. The only explanation I could come up with for that was that the beds were finished, including serial numbers, during the transition from 10D to 10F. And that some beds that had started through the manufacturing process intended for 10D's ended up on 10F's instead.

Correction 2015/04/07- first QC was built 1947. 003825 current best guess would be 1949. Don't know where my brain was when I wrote the above.

2nd Correction 2022/08/01 - The above was apparently written before we discovered that only the first two or three years production of the QC42/54 have serial numbers out of that "new" block of serial numbers. In late 1949 or early 1950 the QC models were merged into the main 10" serial number block with the rest of the 10F's. Although this happened during the time that Atlas or Timken was still engraving inspection dates onto the spindle bearings, we don't have any dates reported that will pin down the 1949 or 1950 to one or the other.

Robert D.

Last edited:

My Atlas is a ten inch Model TH54, serial 072641. The date etched on the spindle bearing is: 9-10-46.
The half nut threads were worn very thin by the time I purchased it. I have since made up two sets so as to have a spare.

I also made a spindle compound gear and idler. I made a 127 tooth change gear so as to cut metric threads.
Despite the prejudice towards Atlas I believe it to be a great tool when used within its capabilities.

Back