Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Re: Atlas 10" Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates

Robert;
Thanks for the reply. Yes, this machine came with a horizontal countershaft setup, so the "H" is resolved . The "S" could mean standard (Babbitt) bearings, or maybe standard bed length (36"). Interestingly, the guy I purchased it from said it was built in the 1960s...only off about 22 years! Would you happen to know Atlas' annual production rate on these machines?
Lou O.

Lou,

OK on "H" but the standard bed length was 42" according to several catalogs. On the "S", what little information we have in the database would agree with Standard = Babbit . But we have several 101.07403 probably from a later period with an "S" suffix and that model only came with Timken bearings. So that has to be filed under "maybe",

We have no actual production data. We have only a few 9" serial numbers but they are all lower than any 10" s/n. So I am beginning to think that Serial Number 1 was a 9" compound drive and not the first 10". The highest 10" serial number that we have is 88786 which I calculated (from one with bearing dates of 06/22/1951) was made around 08/14/1951. When I get time, I will use post-war data and calculate the approximate highest serial number. It will be under 100000, because that's what the late 12" started at.

Robert D.

I just picked up a QC54 with serial number 004218. Not sure about anything else since I have had it for 2 whole days.

Sorry but we only have one date on a QC and that only the year (1947). The first model 10" QCGB appeared in late 1947. Unfortunately, after apparently running a continuous sequence of serial numbers from at least 1936 and probably from 1932, Atlas started over at 000001 with the QC42 and QC54. The only thing about age that can be said is that it was made between 1947 and 1957. We don't know how many were made so can't guess on a year. The highest serial number we currently have for a 10" QC is 004882. But the highest serial number we have on a change gear model was made in 1952, five years before they quit making them. So there is no way to guess whether 004882 was near the end, in the middle, or what.

Robert D.

Here is a picture of my # plate on the 10" QC54 I recently acquired.
QC54 Ser #.JPG
HWF

QC54 Ser #.JPG

Well, Harold, that is weird (pun intended). That serial number would probably date to late June, 1951. But the other 10 QC's that I have serial numbers on are all under 005000. And at the time that the first QC came out, the 10F was above 078000. Maybe after a few years, they decided to go back to the original serial number pool. Only finding another 5-digit number will tell.

Robert D.

Mine also has 3/8" ways if that helps to date these, as I've heard somewhere around '50 is when they switched to 1/2"?

No, the 10" had 3/8" ways from start to finish. The 1/2" ways are in the 12" versions (two) built from late 1957 through to end of lathe production in 1981.

Robert D.

I have an atlas 10d s/n a3965s stamped in the right end of outside way. it is 36" c to c. i would like to know when it was manufactured. i think it is a 1936 year model. i appreciate any info that you have.
thanks. dennis

Dennis,

How did you ID it as a 10D? There were at least six 10" models (not counting the four bed lengths that all were available in, which would mean 24 models) sold before the 10F's appeared. There are a couple of examples reported that would tend to suggest that it might originally have been a 10A instead. Post a front view photo if you can. We have no firm (supported by any evidence) dates for early 10" but from the serial number, my initial guess is sometime in 1935.

Robert D.

Back