Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Re: Atlas 10" Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates

That might be worth doing. I can compare the rest of it to the copies of V1 that I have and confirm that there isn't yet another significantly different version. But let's wait until after New Year.

Robert D.

That might be worth doing. I can compare the rest of it to the copies of V1 that I have and confirm that there isn't yet another significantly different version. But let's wait until after New Year.

Robert D.

I would be happy to do that if for nothing else to get a better appraisal of the copy I have, and to contribute anyway to the history of the MOLO if possible.

Gentlemen;

It occurred to me that there may be several Atlas lathe owners out there that can't find their serial numbers. Admittedly, until I cleaned off the front way of this lathe I'm working on, it was not clearly visible due to rust & discoloration. If you have an older model, look at the far right end of the front most way near the tailstock for the number:

Serial_No_2.jpg

This lathe, # H 15883 S, was brought home 'by the truck load' several months ago. I thought I got a deal at $300; now I'm not so sure. After spending considerable time cleaning the machine up, I've realized, as many others have said, that you can put many hours in restoring old iron to working condition again. Fortunately, my clean-up operation has not revealed any serious problems...just getting rid of old grease, de-rusting, painting, and replacing broken handwheels.

pickup_load.jpg

There is some wear after 70 or so years, but the machine seems to be usable again. I'll post some other pics under a new heading...later.

Lou O.

Serial_No_2.jpg pickup_load.jpg

Yep. Quite often we see statements from new owners that there is no serial number on the bed and no sign anywhere that there was ever a nameplate. It is extremely unlikely that Atlas ever actually shipped a lathe (or mill, shaper or drill press) without a nameplate. And available evidence suggests that they didn't stop putting the serial number on the bed until late 1957.

Robert D.

R0010760.JPGR0010780.JPG

Hi Robert

I have a TV36 with a serial number 024446 which is quite close to the document shown n the lathes.co.uk site. I can only guess that it is contemporary to that machine - presumably sent over the pond as part of the war effort.

I believe it to have Timken bearings but I haven't stripped it down to confirm this. As you can see it has the oval switch surround.

I don't know anything about it's early history - I bought it from a mate in 2012. He had it for a few years (but no more than 5)

R0010760.JPG R0010780.JPG

Robin,
I have a Sphere back gear lathe possibly a totally British made version under license of the Atlas 10 F in 1943/44 but with some USA tooling..

My lathe has proveable history I'm the third owner previous The original naval engineering officer who had it passed it to his son .
The son sold it to me it in August 2014.
It was purchased as one of the first warstock release sales in Feb 1946 at an auction held in London and was still in it's original wooden crate with greased packing etc. My model was primarily used in the munitions arena most likely making torpedo fuses for that is what the original naval engineer was involved with and where he saw the lathe at work

There were quite a few USA units stationed around the UK before & after D day with plenty of engineering capabilities plus the legacy USAF bases that existed /still exist even today . Your lathe might have come from one of these sources either at close down sales or as a personal sale off a serviceman .

Mine is a QC54 with SN 004958. I don't know the date on the bearings.

i have no idea on age of my 2 atlas 10". both 54" beds. first is s# d4598s. vertical counter shaft, 5/8 lead screw and babbitt bearing. second is h54 s# 048529. horizontal counter shaft, 3/4 lead screw and babbitt bearing. the atlas manuals that came with fist one are dated 37, was told it was made in 39. the h54 came with book dated 75. i think this was previous owner bought it.

ad_0_1407305571235.jpg ad_2_1412904118073.jpg

atlas ten,

(Please sign posts). Thanks. The first one is a 10D, Model Number 1054. Judging from rather scanty early info, it was more likely made in late 1937. Looks nice. My only down comment would be that I would get it onto a decent bench before I tried to use it much. And lose the castors. Otherwise, I don't see anything missing.

The H54 is of course a 10F and at a rough guess was made 3rd Quarter 1943. It also looks nice.

I forgot to add that the 1975 Edition of the MOLO is OK with either lathe as far as the generic tables and operations go. But that's a Version 9 and is a better match to something like the Atlas 3996. The 1937 one looks like it might have wire instead of plastic binding. Check whether it has anything bound into Part 7 - Threading (or Thread Cutting). If so, does the first printed page mention the Atlas F-Series 10 Inch, the Sears Master Craftsman 12 Inch, or start off with a photo of some threaded parts? If it doesn't, you need the 10F Threading Supplement and it will match your 10F. FYI, all versions printed from 1937 to 1954 say "Copyright 1937" on the copyright page.

Robert D.

Last edited:

Robin,

When you mentioned that it was "quite close to the document shown on the lathes.co.uk site", it didn't register which document you were referring to. I'll say that it's close! Probably came off of the assembly line about 20 minutes later. And arrived in England on the same ship.

The "T" in "TV36" stands for "Timken". Plus you can clearly see from the photo that you posted that it has the Timken headstock. The babbit bearing caps have two hex head caps screws clearly visible. You might write and tell Tony about it.

Robert D.

Back