Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Robert,
I thought I included the bed length, another senior moment, anyway the length is 42" 3/8" Thick ways
I am a member of the yahoo group but since they changed the web site I hardly go to it.
Finally a machine tool that I own that is older then me.
Thanks
Wally G
dgehricke

Robert,

I have pix of data plate & bearings. Perhaps the S/N starts with an 'O' and not a zero?

IMG_3582.jpgIMG_3581.jpg

I hadn't previously noticed it probably because looking back I see that almost all age related questions the past year have been for 12". In the combined machine database (408 entries to date) there are only 74 10" entries, a third of which show no serial numbers. And there is a large jump or blank range in the 10" serial numbers. They meander up to a little over 8000 and then skip to over 17000. Plus we only have three supposed bearing dates, one of which does not track with the other two. Meaning that it is about 13000 smaller than one with almost the same date.

Anyway, anyone with a 10" who doesn't remember for sure entering your machine into the old Yahoo database or giving it to me recently, please send me the model number (which includes bed length), serial number (including any prefix or suffix letters), type (10F, 10D, etc.), and if it has Timken bearings, the bearing dates if you know them. If no bearing dates, then anything that would give the original purchase date (no guesses, please).

Thanks, Robert D.

Wally, thanks.

Mark, no, it's definitely a zero. This isn't the first example we have of a higher serial number with earlier dates than some other machines. Our (Atlas lathe owners) practice of basing machine date on bearing inspection dates is after all the mercy of Atlas very strictly adhering to a FIFO (First In First Out) inventory practice. We already know that they only usually did this because we have at least one example where the two bearing dates are nearly a year apart. So all that we can really prove is that no lathe was ever built before Atlas received its spindle bearings. :cpa:

Craftsman 101.07402 - 12x24 - 42" bed. sn# 1380 S. Unfortunately there are no dates etched on either spindle bearing. I believe this to be the "deluxe" model shown in the 1938 & 39 sears catalog. I has 5/8" lead screw, One piece saddle & apron, no power crossfeed, oval switch plate, & tailstock with oil dipper. I agree with you Robert D. on linked belts. I personally don't care for them in most applications, besides it's not that big of a deal to pull the spindle/ back gear & countershaft to replace the belt on this lathe. It all had to come apart for cleaning & paint anyway. Considering the age of the existing belts It shouldn't be necessary to ever replace a new one. Thanks for the info & advice,
Monte

Monte,

It is probably the one shown in the 1939 catalog. Although it is difficult to know for certain. The 1940 catalog clearly shows the 101.07403. So for want of better information I have arbitrarily set the years as:

1937 101.07400
1938 101.07401
1939 101.07402
1940 101.07403

However, there is one maybe discrepancy. The "non-Deluxe" lathe (probably the 101.07382) in the 1939 catalog shows threading capability of 4 to 80 tpi. And the writeup on the Deluxe page says "includes all... plus ...", meaning that the supposed 101.07402 also cuts 4 to 80 tpi. That happens to mean (from other sources well verified) that the change gear set includes two 96T (96 teeth) gears, among other things. All subsequent models cut 4 to 96 tpi, which means the 64T A-suffix change gear set. You are quite fortunate that your machine still has its nameplate, as probably 75% of the early and 50% of the later models don't. Look at the gears that are actually on the lathe. If one or two of them are 96T, your machine originally came with the early change gear set, which does not agree with the "official" parts list at SearsDirect.com but does agree with the 1939 catalog. If none of the gears present are 96T, remove one and measure the thickness of the hub. If it is 3/8" (same as the tooth face width), that is an early gear. If the hub is 1/2" wide/thick, that is a late A-suffix gear, and all of the gears that originally came with the machine will be the same.

Note also that during this period, the Sears Power Tools catalogs were most likely printed late in the previous year. So your machine could have actually been made late in 1938. It is unfortunate that the spindle bearings have no dates. That probably means that they were replaced at some point as no date present is rare.

Anyway, when you have time, please tell us what you found with the gears.

Atlas TH42 with Pick-o-Matic gearbox. Serial #067647. Bearing dates are 4-18-46 and 5-20-46.

I have a Craftsman 101.0704 I got last year at a garage sale. 12 x 24 42 bed. Obrien quick change, lots of tooling, very little wear. Completely restored now, paint,vfd with inverter duty motor,tach and pushbutton control.

I have a Craftsman 101.0704 I got last year at a garage sale. 12 x 24 42 bed. Obrien quick change, lots of tooling, very little wear. Completely restored now, paint,vfd with inverter duty motor,tach and pushbutton control.
Completlly restored except for bearings. I have the bearings and races out, dates are 7-20-45, 7-25-45, and 7-30-45. Serial no. 13931 S. I can not find reasonbly priced class 3 bearings and races. Has anyone used automotive grade with good results? Thanks Jeff

Back